Flat Batch Of Coopers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brend0n

Reaction score
hey everyone, my first attempt at bulk priming resulted in a batch of (definatly) flat beer. so my question is can i put it back in the tub with some fresh yeast and go again or is it stuffed.

Cheers

Don't put it back in the tub and no it isn't stuffed.

You'll need to work out why it's flat before trying to fix it though.

How do you know it's definitely flat with no chance of more time making it come good?

Don't put it back in the tub and no it isn't stuffed.

You'll need to work out why it's flat before trying to fix it though.

How do you know it's definitely flat with no chance of more time making it come good?

I didnt prime any bottles before filling, just threw in a bag of sugar into the tub then filled the bottles. Totally stuffed it i know.Its been sitting in the shed now for about 3 months and flat as a tack.

OK. 3 months seems like long enough, presuming it's been at least 15 degrees or more for a week or so in that time.

Next time you bulk prime, dissolve the sugar in boiling water first then either rack into a different fermenter (sugar solution first) or add and stir gently, then leave for 30 mins.

For these ones, calculate the volume you have left and the weight of sugar required to carbonate properly. Dissolve the sugar in the minimum amount of boiling water and allow to cool to below 30 degrees.

Add 3-4 grams of yeast and mix.

Divide the solution volume by the number of bottles left. Decap the bottles one by one and use a syringe to add the correct amount of priming/yeast solution then recap. Upend the bottles once gently, then wait another few weeks, hopefully keeping the bottles at around 18 degrees.

I didnt prime any bottles before filling, just threw in a bag of sugar into the tub then filled the bottles. Totally stuffed it i know.Its been sitting in the shed now for about 3 months and flat as a tack.
Did you stir the mixture prior to bottling?

Mixing the sugar with water prior to priming (bulk) as Manticle has described is a good idea.

OK. 3 months seems like long enough, presuming it's been at least 15 degrees or more for a week or so in that time.

Next time you bulk prime, dissolve the sugar in boiling water first then either rack into a different fermenter (sugar solution first) or add and stir gently, then leave for 30 mins.

For these ones, calculate the volume you have left and the weight of sugar required to carbonate properly. Dissolve the sugar in the minimum amount of boiling water and allow to cool to below 30 degrees.

Add 3-4 grams of yeast and mix.

Divide the solution volume by the number of bottles left. Decap the bottles one by one and use a syringe to add the correct amount of priming/yeast solution then recap. Upend the bottles once gently, then wait another few weeks, hopefully keeping the bottles at around 18 degrees.
you are such a gentleman Manticle.. that is a carefully, comprehensively written reply.

You are one of the gems here at AHB.

Thanks MA.

You haven't been on the receiving end of one of my farts though.

cheers will give it a go, thx for the advice on the bulk priming, reading that that i knew i screwed it.

thanks,

Latest posts

Back