Flame-out Hops - Lid On Or Stir ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently made an all-grain Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone which is now in secondary. Although it tastes good, it's really lacking the strong floral / citrus flavour and aroma I was expecting from the large addition of Cascade at 10 minutes (25g Cascade pellets) and at 0 minutes / flameout (65g Cascade pellets). I added 0 minutes hops and put the lid straight on the boiler but didn't stir, waited 10 minutes, then chilled with an immersion chiller to pitching temperature over 25 minutes or so and transferred to the fermenter.

Any ideas on why the flavour / aroma characteristics might be lacking ? Should I be stirring instead of putting the lid on ? Does putting the lid on help to trap the hop oils ? Could the hops by old / stale (they did smell great so I guess not) ? What's the best way to improve hop flavour / aroma without use of a hop-back ? I've seen some different suggestions on forums and wanted to get your thoughts. The hop additions are below.

15g Horizon - 60 mins
15g Perle - 30 mins
35g Cascade - 10 mins
65g Cascade - 0 mins
20g Cascade - dry hop in secondary
Batch size : 23 litres

PS: this is my first AHB post although i've been an avid reader over the last year, some of the advice on here has really helped me transition from kit => extract => AG so thanks to all !

Spoofy,

Firstly, welcome....

The trouble with large flameout additions for aroma is that lots of the aroma gets scrubbed out of the brew by the CO2 during fermentation.
If you are after a big aroma hit, you need to dry hop. Add the hops to the fermenter as the krausen subsides & leave for at leat 5 days.
I like to leave for 3 to 4 days while fermentation finishes & than 2 to 3 days crash chilled.

Edit: up your dry hopping to 40/50gm & reduce flame out by the same figure

Cheers Ross

I agree with Ross. I have tried all variations for significant hop aroma and dry hop is the only way I have been able to get the level I desired. I just throw them in after most of the fermentation has been done and leave for a week. I use pellets and they drop out. Anyway a bit of hop in your glass is good luck. I am sure others will have different ideas based on their experiences. :beer:

And there is also dry hopping in the keg (if you keg), plenty of posts on AHB discussing this too.

Same as Ross - if I'm after an aroma hit, I'll ferment in primary for 2 weeks, adding dry hops in week two.
No hop matter or blockages in my kegs...

Cheers,
TL

I assume there is no danger of introducing an infection adding hops straight into the fermenter post boil? Something that has often worried me doing this

I assume there is no danger of introducing an infection adding hops straight into the fermenter post boil? Something that has often worried me doing this

Please correct me if I am wrong.

They add it well into the fermentation of the beer - which means there is alcohol in it. Which to my understanding is not a desirable environment for airbourne bacteria + yeast - and in this case, any nasties that are present in the hops.

Pre-fermentation there is an abundant amount of sugar for nasties to eat...

Hops were also originally used as a beer preservative... so chuck them straight :icon_drool2:

I also no longer waste hops at flame out or any later than 5 min, save them all for dry hopping.

Just dont add them to the keg unless they are in a bag or similar. They will block your lines before you can fill a glass.

cheers

darren

Well, technically, there's always a risk that you could sneeze into the fermenter or invite airborne filth, etc, but no, the fermented wort / beer is usually pretty safe for you to add the hops in after a week of fermenting. I've never had an infection from dry hopping, but then again, I've only been brewing for 13 years... ;)

Cheers,
TL

Hops were also originally used as a beer preservative... so chuck them straight :icon_drool2:

I also no longer waste hops at flame out or any later than 5 min, save them all for dry hopping.

+1

2g/L
i.e 46g dry hopping in secondary for 23 L.Preferably use as fresh hops as possible.
if you only have pellets grind them down and chuck in about 2/3 of that amount.

Condition on bottle about 6-8 week yummm.
Keg about 2-3 weeks.
Delicious ;)

I'll cut back the 0 minutes hops next time and up the dry hop...thanks to all for your advice, much appreciated. Cheers!

so I would assume dry hopping is required for a pilsener? Do people here dry hop their pilseners?

Latest posts

Back