Fitting drill to millmaster mini mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased a millmaster minimill from craft brewer. I figured that I would just put the shaft into my drill, but it is too thick. Any body have any adapter work around for this other than buying another drill?

Regards
James

You need a 13mm chuck. It is probably cheaper to buy another drill.

You can get spider couplings that will fit and is probably better than using the drill straight onto the shaft, even if the drill did fit. Just do a Google search and find someone that sells them near where you live. I don't think they are that expensive.

Bungings sell 1/2" drill press chucks for about $15 that'll fit a mill master. You just need to cut down the chuck's shaft to suit your drill chuck. Then you can leave the press chuck on the millmaster so you're not constantly marking the shaft attaching the drill all the time.

drill press chuck.jpg

^ Pic for clarity. The one I bought had a parallel shaft with a tapered point to suit a drill press.

VP Brewing said:
You can get spider couplings that will fit and is probably better than using the drill straight onto the shaft, even if the drill did fit. Just do a Google search and find someone that sells them near where you live. I don't think they are that expensive.
What size spider coupling would you need?
Quite a few guys have motorised their mills & use a spider coupling but which one?
I just clamp mine onto the mill shaft using the Ozito drill but it does knock the shaft around a bit.

This one maybe?

Buy this. I did and its perfect. $20. I have a mashmaster mini-mill and had the same problem.
Solution nailed B)

Yeah that looks like it would fit. Although it doesn't look like good quality. I have been looking at doing the same but was just going to take the drill and mill into my local BSC and get them to sort it out. They are both bolted to the same board and I don't use the drill for anything else.

VP Brewing said:
Yeah that looks like it would fit. Although it doesn't look like good quality. I have been looking at doing the same but was just going to take the drill and mill into my local BSC and get them to sort it out. They are both bolted to the same board and I don't use the drill for anything else.
Its pretty good. And for $20 its really good. It hardly gets any work and the work it does is drive rollers to crack grain.
It'll last years and years doing that.

mckenry said:
Its pretty good. And for $20 its really good. It hardly gets any work and the work it does is drive rollers to crack grain.
It'll last years and years doing that.
Sorry I was talking about the coupling in post 5.

mckenry said:
Buy this. I did and its perfect. $20. I have a mashmaster mini-mill and had the same problem.
Solution nailed B)
Thanks mckenry, this looks like the solution to my problem.... I can just leave it permanently on the millmaster shaft so hopefully won't scar it too much.

Camo6 said:
Bungings sell 1/2" drill press chucks for about $15 that'll fit a mill master. You just need to cut down the chuck's shaft to suit your drill chuck. Then you can leave the press chuck on the millmaster so you're not constantly marking the shaft attaching the drill all the time.

attachicon.gif
drill press chuck.jpg

^ Pic for clarity. The one I bought had a parallel shaft with a tapered point to suit a drill press.
Buy this,leave it attached to the mill then attach your drill to it when needed .

That's all I did Spog.
Mckenry's chuck with the hex shaft looks more versatile if you can wait for the shipping.

Latest posts

Back