First Year Root Growth - Call Me Burke!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlow_coates

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

Cut my last hops bine with flowers this week, and dug up the roots this morning.

I got this Columbus rhizome in a bunch with a friend. Got 5 for $100, but I only took the one to see what growing was like.
This one was about as big as my little finger.
Was planted in a big pot with good compost, watered daily, and fed fertiliser once a month.

This is it's first year, and I got about 150gms (dry weight) of flowers this season in 2 flowerings.

Had no idea the roots had gotten so big in the pot, and am very excited about next year.
Keeping this bad boy in the cool dark plastic bag for 2 months till Brisbane warms a little.

P1010143.JPG

Wanted to post this pic partly to show off, but also to encourage all those who think Brisbane is too far north for decent hop growing.

Marlow

Hey guys and girls,

Cut my last hops bine with flowers this week, and dug up the roots this morning.

I got this Columbus rhizome in a bunch with a friend. Got 5 for $100, but I only took the one to see what growing was like.
This one was about as big as my little finger.
Was planted in a big pot with good compost, watered daily, and fed fertiliser once a month.

This is it's first year, and I got about 150gms (dry weight) of flowers this season in 2 flowerings.

Had no idea the roots had gotten so big in the pot, and am very excited about next year.
Keeping this bad boy in the cool dark plastic bag for 2 months till Brisbane warms a little.

View attachment 28012

Wanted to post this pic partly to show off, but also to encourage all those who think Brisbane is too far north for decent hop growing.

Marlow

yeah tis a big one.....but for the life of me I dont know why everyone is digging them up after they die back (unless you are selling some). You say you got 150gms but if you left it in the ground, next year you will have more than double that. They longer they are in the ground the more they produce. Brisbanes soil would honestly be like a sauna compared to Canberra soil and mine double their crop every year by leaving it alone. Or are you planning on sticking it in the ground instead of a pot?
Cheers
Steve

Yeah planning to put it in the ground next year, I read pots are better for first year to get them a good root system.

Want to put some trellace or something similar up next season also, as it really just turned into a continually growing ropes system with bines all over the place :lol:

Yeah planning to put it in the ground next year, I read pots are better for first year to get them a good root system.

Want to put some trellace or something similar up next season also, as it really just turned into a continually growing ropes system with bines all over the place :lol:

:beer: wrap it inside damp newspaper as well as the bag and in the fridge or it might start growing in your cupboard :lol:

You might want to get it off the postie before it pokes roots through the spokes on the wheels .

I have dug some of mine out as they looked like they were starting to rot at the base of the bine . They certainlly mean it when they say that the hops need really well drained soil . I just bought heaps of potting mix for when I take them out of the fridge and replant them.

Back