First Weizen, Need Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I am planning my first Weizen brew using the WB-06, and was after some ideas on a mash shedule. I was thinking of a simple double infusion with 30mins at 52, 30 mins at 62 and 30 mins at 72.
Grain bill is:

3000.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 60.00 %
2000.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 40.00 %
30.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

I understand Zwickle is an authority on this topic and a link to his famous Weizen would be appreciated.

I just want to keep it simple for my first crack so any pit falls I should be aware of? Should I be using rice hulls in the mash? Should I be mashing this cooler?

Steve

Looks good, SJW

The protein rest is a good idea, though I usually don't bother. The wheat proteins give the beer is cloudy appearance, along with the suspended yeast. Oh, and don't add whirfloc.

Depending on your equipment, rice hulls should not be necessary. I've used up to 75% wheat and never got stuck.

Also, adjust your efficiency for wheat beer, you may not get the same as barley malt.

One other thing. I add some caramunich III, about 2.5%, to give a bit of colour and some malt flavour. The aim is to mash "thin" but I like a bit of body.

WJ

PS Zwickel doesn't like top fermented beers... ;)

i'd lower your first infusion by 10C
i don't bother with a protein rest, as WJ suggests - cloudy weizens are OK (you can drop the coagulant as well if you like), but I like an acid rest to really pump out the clove. Depends what you like in a weizen, girly beez neez or clovey German weizen.

I am planning my first Weizen brew using the WB-06, and was after some ideas on a mash shedule. I was thinking of a simple double infusion with 30mins at 52, 30 mins at 62 and 30 mins at 72.
Grain bill is:

3000.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 60.00 %
2000.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 40.00 %
30.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

I understand Zwickle is an authority on this topic and a link to his famous Weizen would be appreciated.

I just want to keep it simple for my first crack so any pit falls I should be aware of? Should I be using rice hulls in the mash? Should I be mashing this cooler?

Steve

Steve,

Post 128 of this thread.

Link

Rook

I'm with Tangent a F/acid rest is a really good idea for a Weissbier. OTOH the WB-06 yeast is a virtual clove machine. Maybe bypass it as others have said and just go for single temp.

Recipe looks a good starting point Steve.

Warren -

Yes, I might add some Munich or Cara III for a bit of colour and body too.

Steve

Steve,
If you would like to make it with an Fer acid rest here is a link to the rec from the Weyermann web site for
Johann Baptist Weibier (JBW) (since you are using 60% of that lovely plump Weyermann wheat malt).

I have done this (and posted this link before) using infusions and the Aussie malt added just for the last 2 steps what makes the water additions easier.
Just skip on thru the 50 step.
No Dec = no scars :D but a longer mash & slow constant juggling of water additions.
Have fun.

- Luke

It's the season.... 28.gif

but I like an acid rest to really pump out the clove. Depends what you like in a weizen, girly beez neez or clovey German weizen.

Have you tried an acid rest with the dry yeast? As warren says, it's pretty clovey all on its one. I made my wheat with just a single infusion and there's heaps of clove, not much banana (fermented around 20C). Just what I wanted. I used a little Munich for a little more oomph.

I made this recently, using a similar double infusion mash schedule (I don't have the exact temps to hand but it looked pretty similar...)
It was the base for a strawberry wheat but I bottled a couple from the weizen base and it was a great summer BBQ beer...
I have previously used a single infusion and the base beer was not as good as this one. I will be doing this for my wheats from now own so I would say go for it...

2600.00 gm Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 59.77 %
1000.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 22.99 %
700.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 16.09 %
50.00 gm Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 1.15 %
35.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (60 min)Hops 9.4 IBU
20.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [2.20 %] (30 min)Hops 4.1 IBU
4.00 kg Strawberry (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Safwheat (DCL Yeast #WB06) Yeast-Wheat

actually, my 1st use of the dry wheat yeast, i used my usual acid rest but probably could have cut it down to 10 mins. It's freakin' clovey, but I like it like that.

Ok for what its worth this is what I have come up with. Dont ask why I chose this mash shedule but I just want to keep it simple.

56 Weizen
Bavarian Weizen (Weissbier)

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/02/2010
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright
Boil Size: 32.05 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 75 min Equipment: Keg
Taste Rating(out of 50): 0.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3500.00 gm Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 61.40 %
2000.00 gm Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 35.09 %
200.00 gm Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 3.51 %
30.00 gm Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 13.7 IBU
1 Pkgs Weizen (Fermentis #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.96 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 13.7 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 12.6 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Double Infusion, Light Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 10.00 L of water at 47.5 C 43.0 C
60 min Saccrification Add 10.00 L of water at 87.3 C 63.0 C

Steve, if you want to keep it simple for your first Weizen, then the Zwickel Weizen might not be the best due to the mash schedule. Maybe better off trying a single infusion mash, maybe even a Bavarian Style.

Depends what you like in a weizen, girly beez neez or clovey German weizen.
:lol:

Jamil Zainasheff's simple recipe below.

Recipe: JS - Bavarian Weizen
Style: Bavarian Weizen
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 24.00 L
Boil Size: 31.35 L
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 2.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 12.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 83.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.40 kg Pilsener (1.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
2.40 kg Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
25.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfruh [4.60 %] (60 min)Hops 12.0 IBU
1 Pkgs WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen (2L Starter) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Step
Total Grain Weight: 4.80 kg
----------------------------
Single Step
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Conversion step Add 15.00 L of water at 74.5 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash out Heat to 77.0 C over 20 min 77.0 C

Sparge
----------------------------

Sparge water: 22.66 L
Sparge Temperature: 89.0 C

Good idea Screwtop. I might just go the single infusion. But might go 64 degC for 60 then mashout. At least this will give me a good baseline for future cracks at this.

Steve

good idea
you'll still get clove with that yeast anyway, and i still think for this kind of beer, a protein rest is a waste of time.

Tangent, I was talking to Mark today (MHB) who said if I do a 90min mash at 65 all the enzymes will do their thing anyway and I would not end up with a beer to far off the mark.

Steve

My recipe is simple. Half a bucket of pale wheat malt, half a bucket of pils malt. Whack it in the tun with hot water. Adjust temp with immersion heater or cold water until 64C is achieved. Mash for an hour while heating sparge water. Recirculate a couple litres, then run into kettle. Bitter ~16IBU with a noble hop. Ferment, serve. Easy beer, no need to agonise over it.

My recipe is simple. Half a bucket of pale wheat malt, half a bucket of pils malt. Whack it in the tun with hot water. Adjust temp with immersion heater or cold water until 64C is achieved. Mash for an hour while heating sparge water. Recirculate a couple litres, then run into kettle. Bitter ~16IBU with a noble hop. Ferment, serve. Easy beer, no need to agonise over it.

thats exactly right, don't overthink these ones they're made all the better by their simplicity

i just go for approx 50/50 wheat/pils

single temp mash at approx 64c-66c for 60 mins

10g pacific hallertau @ 60 mins
10g pacific hallertau @ 10 mins

pitch a good yeast (personally i'll stick with 3068)

ferment at 24c for 5-7 days and into the keg!

enjoy!

Thanks boys, Reading too much into all the tech talk. I got the impression that a good wheat beer must have been a real trick to get spot on. But the last 2 posts confirm what I hoped. KISS.

STEVE

Back