First Two Can Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Henno

Beermologist
Reaction score
I have just put down my first two can brew using two cans of Tooheys Lager. I also put in about 200g of Dex for good measure.

I pitched a packet of Saflager S23 at about 19oC and now have it sitting at 11 to 12oC in my recently acquired temp controlled fridge as I believe lagers like the lower temps.

I just read something in here that said when brewing lagers at these low temps you should use two packets of yeast. I then had a good look at the instructions on the Saflager and it also says to use two packets if brewing between 11 and 15oC.

Have I stuffed up my first lager attempt here by only using one pack of yeast? Would the risk of infection be too great if I went and bought another pack of Saflager and pitched it now? I dread to think of what taste I would get if I used one of the packs of yeast I got with the Tooheys extract.

Any ideas gurus?

Henno

If you can, get another pack tomorrow, rehydrate and pitch.

So you guys would have definately pitched two packets when doing this caper then?

No activity at the moment but I think the fermenter I am using has a leak.

So you guys would have definately pitched two packets when doing this caper then?

I would have used 2 yeasts but you should be OK. After a few days I recommend giving the fermenter a gentle roll daily to reagitate the yeast as much of it would have settled out This seems to wake it up and get it going again. I normally use ale yeast with twocans and turn up the temp a couple of degrees for the last couple days of the fermentation just to make sure that it really has finished.

If I had the technology, 16deg until it got going would've been my pick, then drop the temp 1deg/day.

Ditto FazerPete as well.

Latest posts

Back