first try at growing hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair enough. They certainly like warm temps. I expect they'll be going mental next week with 40 degrees predicted here, given enough watering.

Think about it a second., when do they sprout? After a period of cold (winter) as soon as it 'starts' to warm (spring).. Then slow until warmer...

Asparagus indeed... I mean really...

hoppy2B said:
I thought it worth mentioning for those growing hops in tropical regions that it might be a good idea to water your plants through the winter dry period as hops are a winter rainfall area plant. Don't over do it but likewise don't let them dry out completely and expect them to burst into life in spring afterwards.
Makes sense, especially when you you take into account that they are a cold climate plant. ( wet winters, shorter summer etc ). Be interesting to see if a more tropical climate affects the way and speed that they shoot and what difference soil temps make. Do they need a certain period of cold to become more productive like apples do ?

Do you think that there could be any advantage to digging up the rhizomes and refrigerating them until mid August, and then replanting them. Many bulbs in this part of seq need to be treated this way as they will rot if left in the ground over summer , but most of the colder climate bulbs need that period of "cold dormancy" to sprout and flower. Would this help to provide a longer growing season? An earlier flowering time,and possibly avoid heat related problems with hop plants?

I think that is a great experiment to have, was thinking about it earlier.. Dig up and split a rhizome, fridge the cutting and plant out in spring next to the parent and note any differences come season..

Further

How would the same rizhome ( from parent) react to different climatic conditions. Keeping in mind the growing medium

I get the impression from the, 'Show us your hops' thread that hops flower earlier in the more northern parts of Aus than they do down south. Temperature related most likely.

I believe they are sensitive to number of hours of sunshine from what I read

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hoppy2B said:
Soils aint soils

Actually hops will grow well in highly alkaline soil. Research has shown that soil ph has no effect on yield.
ok love to see your research that has shown that my friend as the soil pH has a lot of effect on nutrient up take ect .
please provide the research that you talk about .

i have a cascade and a red earth hop rhizome growing and there going for the sky , there in pots as i rent but hell there got side shoots everywhere guess the pH must be right

still waiting for the research that says they will grow in alkaline soil .

just shits me when ya try and help and some one that knows shit and relies on what they say is research says without posting that stuff or even a link like the good doctor smurto says where is ya research

btw i am a horticulturist / greenkeeper,

but hell i know shit about hops aparently

just wish hoppy2b grows his hops in sand as thats pretty alkaline see how it goes like he says dont make much diference hahahah what ever research says//// its ppl like him that makes internet myths thrive.. sorry mate you dont know shit so dont tell me that i dont as i am way way way more experienced that you trust me

Actually Daftmouther, sand is normally acid because it has everything leached out of it including lime.

what ever take a pH reading of sand ya dick stupid fuks like you per petuate fokelaw like i said where is the research u sound like u know what ur talking about but in reality your a dick like i said show me the reasearch u clamed to have .my hops are booming whatrs yours like in sand know it all ????????????????????????

sory im just about crapped of of with know it all fuckwits on this forum . as far as i am concerned i make some of the best beer you will ever taste now i am getting into some heavy beer brewing for some distilling ,...

i am just getting pisssed with dickheads that know everything with the resurch has shown shit .........well show me that research else shut the **** up DH

Anyone who knows anything about the nomenclature of classification of different rock types will be all to familiar with the fact that rocks with a high silica content are classed as acid as apposed to basic rocks which are generally darker in colour. Futhermore sand is generally made up of quartz particles, and anyone who isn't an illiterate 'greenskeeper' or whatever claim to fame it is you are making, will be all too aware that quartz is silicon dioxide.
Its a little wrong to say a tomato is a vegetable, its very wrong to say sand is alkaline.

Keep the personal attacks and name calling out of it. This can and should be resolved with articulate discussion including providing research and back up data (from both sides). Neither internet myths nor calling each other dicks or daft is welcome.

Take a breath, sort it out.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back