First Trip To The Hbs(&pale Ale Question)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butters73

Reaction score
G'day guys, I live in Biloela in central queensland, until now my brewing experience has been whatever I've been able to get from the local woolworths although I have mail ordered some stuff but pretty basic. Today the handbrake had to go to Rockhampton for an eye test, so I said I'd come along knowing well and good that there were a couple of home brew shops that I was dying to loiter and drool in and some experienced owners that I desperately wanted to annoy with stupid questions. Well I was definately drooling and my credit card was soon weeping after I purchased several coopers pale ale kits, a Morgans saaz pilsener and a cascade chocolate mohogany porter as well as a bottle stand, several knick naks and schooner glasses. I'm a big fan of coopers pale ale stubbies and have them specially ordered into town for myself, my next step was to culture some yeast from a couple of these delicous babies. I cracked open a new carton this afternoon and was supprised that after a few years and many,many cartons that I might have found a bung one. I poured the first stubbie into my headmaster schooner and I noticed straight away a watery beer with a very distinct bitter after taste and not the rich fruity flavout that I am acustomed to.My question is will the yeast be all right to culture or should I wait for a better tasting batch, I'm thinking it may have hit a bit of heat on transport or it could be the batch(the best after date is less than a month ago). What kind of bottles can I do a yeast culture in?Do I need and airlock?Can I get away with something simple?Was Diana's death an accident?What hints can you guys give me on the kits that I've bought. Any information U guys can give me will be pure gold. I also bought a couple of Brew Cellar English ale yeasts that I was gonna use in an amber oak ale and coopers dark ale , should I rehydrate in a cup of warm water or just chuck in dry at 20 degrees.Cheers for any replies. Kingo.

I would add the dregs of at least 4 - 6 stubbies into a starter and let ferment out. Then have a read of this topic. You should be able to collect some fresh viable yeast for future use.

Back