First Time Using A Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corcatraz

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Just wanted to say thanks for all the good info!

It has taken me ages to get my brewery up and running and I finally got my first full size AG batch in the fermenter. There was plenty of "firsts" going on including making a starter. I'm totally stoked with the results so far as fermentation is cracking along!
ferm1.jpg
ferm3.jpg
ferm2.jpg

So after a bit of reading on top cropping I went for the spoon and grabbed some of the foam. It in the fridge under some cooled boiled water. I came back an hour later and it was spewing out the top again so of course I went and grabbed some more :icon_cheers:

As it was so foamy after a night in the fridge it settled down to about 4 or 5 ml in the bottom of the jar. There is a little bit of brown stuff in there I'm asuming to be hop gunk? Do I need to be worried about this stuff?

Thanks all
Cant wait for the next brew day
:icon_chickcheers:

Does not look like much yeast in all that foam. Usually you get a pale brown scum which is the yeast. You may have to dig through the foam to top crop. Hops usually give a greenish scum on top of the foam.

Does not look like much yeast in all that foam. Usually you get a pale brown scum which is the yeast. You may have to dig through the foam to top crop. Hops usually give a greenish scum on top of the foam.

Ahh ok gotcha. Yea under the foam sitting on top of the wort it was a bit more 'creamier' I spose, which was the stuff I was trying to get. Oh and yea it is 1056 btw. I know not technically a true top cropper but I figured I might try it anyways.

Cheers!

For top-cropping you are usually looking for a thick almost solid head, that looks a little bit like thickened cream in colour and texture, there may not be much yeast in all that foam.

This was a dark-coloured mild beer, but it is the best picture I have just now:
BL1508.jpg

yea it has setled to bugger all yeast. First time using liquid yeast so very new to this game. From what I've read most people dont top-crop 1056 instead rinsing it or just dumping a new batch onto it but i thought i'd give it a try. I'll prob try to rinse and reuse the yeast from the bottom as well.

Cheers wolfy

Latest posts

Back