First time all grain...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save the grain, use it next time.

Do one with 250gm and then another with 500 to see the difference. How it affects it depends what the grain is..

Thanks, I already threw it all in :/ Cheers everyone for your help, it's brewing now, temperature stable.

Only mistake I made was starting the water above 70 degrees, when I threw the grain in it stayed at 70 instead of dropping to 66 I was aiming for. I'm hoping with caramalt this isn't going to make a difference to my novice taste buds ?

the temp is all good - not really something you have to worry about when using such a small amount of grain. Report back with how it tastes!

the temp is all good - not really something you have to worry about when using such a small amount of grain. Report back with how it tastes!

Unless I'm missing something, the complete mash (an AG beer) was done at 70 which will produce a full bodied/dextrinous beer with higher than expected FG.

He just used 250gm (or 700?) in an extract brew, not the full AG brew

But yeh, otherwise it's a bigger consideration!

Last edited:
I used 500grams just because I had it, with the extract kit and extract malt. It's too late now but I'll do some reading about mashing before next batch.

500 will be fine, i thought you meant 250 plus another 500!

It might be a bit sweeter or more caramelly, maybe bit darker, but it isn't going to be shit or anything like that. will be a good beer!

Fair enough. Serves me right for going by title rather than content.

all good I re-read it 4 times after your comment to make sure I wasn't reading the wrong thing :p (which is more often than not the case...)

Back