First Stepped Mash Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That OM would be me. He showed me this post and I said, there goes another one, no research, do it first then ask questions. Freaking Ready.... Shoot..... Aim

It will be ok, but a bit pasty.

Cheers,

Screwy

Dont tell me that you research everything before you do anything. Thats just no the way real men do it :D

[quote name='O'Henry' post='517113' date='Sep 8 2009, 03:50 AM']For those in the know, what is happening at 72-76 that isnt happening at 66?[/quote]

My understanding is that the raise completes the gelatinization, so that the tail end of the alphas can convert the last of the starches.

I guess, thats the result of unconverted starch....

sorry, I do not agree. The betas wouldnt be dead, not even after many hours and the alphas cannot properly do their work at 63C.

just my 2 cent

Don't be sorry mate, i'm open to correction.

I should have checked the graph here before I posted. More like 20% activity after 30 mins @ 63C
Not sure who's results it shows or how they were measured, but it somehow seems to make sense.
Probably not so impotant, given how much conversion would have taken place by then, but a good read nonetheless..
Cheers
Lloydie

What is the general rule of thumb as to the time period of 'rest' during the step mash of 63c & 72c to fully activate both the A & B amylase.

Pale drier beers - long beta rest and shorter alpha rest ??

pale hoppy beers - even rests ??

Darker maltier beers - long alpha and shorter beta ??

Cheers, Hoges.
Hoges, as a rule of thumb Id agree in priciples.

John Palmers graph shows the temp range very well:

f79.gif

:icon_cheers:

Well the OG came out at 1040 so if it does taste ok it wont last long.
But the wrongs keep coming. I pitched the yeast last night and the wort was at 18C , so I put the fermenter on the heat mat to keep the temp up for the yeast to start overnight. Got about half an hour out of town this morning and realised I had forgotten to put the fermenter in the fermenting fridge. Got home tonight to find it blowing its head off and sitting on 24C.
Oh well, lessons learnt, I hope :ph34r:

Back