First Stepped Mash Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Tried my first stepped mash with a wheat beer today.
20min at 50c then 60min at 63c

I got a very milky looking wort and when it came to the boil it would have boiled over if I wasnt watching. Got a good rolling boil happening and noticed that there is a lot of solid material circulating around. Is this normal for a wheat (only done one other since AG) or is it something to do with the stepped mash?

We did much the same recently with a couple of batches and noticed the same things. Being our first lagers, first stepped mash, and first use of wheat, I couldn't say for sure what was the cause. The batches are nearly finished in primary and are clear enough, so I'm not really that bothered by the odd- appearing things back on brewday.

Yeah Im pretty sure that they will settle out , just curious to know what it is as there is a lot of it.

well...wheat has lots of protein compared to barley...

I'd say that the solid material is hot break...

I might be a bit slow today , but , WTF

Mantis.. i was down at MHB's on Sat(thanks for the hospitality) and he was doing a 60/40 wheat/base or there bouts
And just as it was hitting the boil it started to really foam up
He and Ben added about 2ml of a Soluble hop oil extract (Im sure Mark or someone else here knows the correct name)
Anyway about 3secs and a stir the foam went from licking the top of the pot, a good 4-6" of foam to nothing at all

Certainly going to be something i have on hand for the next Wheat brew i do

Tom

Mantis.. i was down at MHB's on Sat(thanks for the hospitality) and he was doing a 60/40 wheat/base or there bouts
And just as it was hitting the boil it started to really foam up
He and Ben added about 2ml of a Soluble hop oil extract (Im sure Mark or someone else here knows the correct name)
Anyway about 3secs and a stir the foam went from licking the top of the pot, a good 4-6" of foam to nothing at all

Certainly going to be something i have on hand for the next Wheat brew i do

Tom

Thats good to know thanks. I see Craftbrewer has liquid hops , I wonder if this is what they used

Nah its not that stuff
This stuffs like Tar .. black and thick

Tom

Not the same at all, what we used was Hop Anti-Foam although its made from hops; it adds no taste or aroma. Once its done its job it breaks down completely during the boil and ends up in the trub.

There have been several threads where Hop Anti-Foam gets a mention. Very useful stuff, nice to be able to boil 60 Litres of wheat beer in a 75 Litre pot and not have any escape.

MHB

Just do the old "brewers" trick. Chuck in a hop pellet or cone at the beginning of the boil. Gives the wort a nucleation point, and avoids excessive foaming. Try it, works a treat!

Cheers

Getting away from what I was really asking but eh, good info. Being a deadset newby to AG wheat brewing this is good.
Cheers fellas

Mantis, Id rather do a 63/72C step mash than 50/63C

Wheat beers dont need a protein rest around 50C and if your last step is around 63C, then youve activated only the beta amylase, not the alpha amylase.
May be, that beer becomes way too dry and still contains a little bit unconverted starch. Have you done the iodine test?
The cloudiness of your wort could be the result of that.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Wheat beers dont need a protein rest around 50C and if your last step is around 63C, then youve activated only the beta amylase, not the alpha amylase.
May be, that beer becomes way too dry and still contains a little bit unconverted starch. Have you done the iodine test?
The cloudiness of your wort could be the result of that.

Ahh ok. I was following what was done in a recipe in the database.
Well I might have a mouth puckerer eh :icon_vomit:

Thanks

Ahh ok. I was following what was done in a recipe in the database.
Well I might have a mouth puckerer eh :icon_vomit:

Thanks
No, I dont think so, the beer certainly will be drinkable, it lacks only a little bit polish.

:icon_cheers:

both will be active even at 63 the question is how long is your mash? Even that low your betas will be dead after a half hour-ish. The rest of the conversion will be done by the alphas even that low..

both will be active even at 63 the question is how long is your mash? Even that low your betas will be dead after a half hour-ish. The rest of the conversion will be done by the alphas even that low..

I think the OP said it was 20min then 60min.

I did 55/66 in a wheat and it seemed to turn out fine. I guess there are a few options worth looking at if something didnt quite work.

For those in the know, what is happening at 72-76 that isnt happening at 66?

.....I got a very milky looking wort [snip]

I guess, thats the result of unconverted starch....

sorry, I do not agree. The betas wouldnt be dead, not even after many hours and the alphas cannot properly do theire work at 63C.

just my 2 cent

OM Says it sounds like Ready Fire Aim to him :lol:

That OM would be me. He showed me this post and I said, there goes another one, no research, do it first then ask questions. Freaking Ready.... Shoot..... Aim

It will be ok, but a bit pasty.

Cheers,

Screwy

What is the general rule of thumb as to the time period of 'rest' during the step mash of 63c & 72c to fully activate both the A & B amylase.

Pale drier beers - long beta rest and shorter alpha rest ??

pale hoppy beers - even rests ??

Darker maltier beers - long alpha and shorter beta ??

Cheers, Hoges.

Back