First Shot At Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi guys,

as per the initial post in this topic i too am about to move from pet bottles to glass and attempt my first bulk prime....

what i am trying to get my head around is how the c02 volume affects the final alcohol content (or does it)???

im brewing a ginger beer at 18-20c--- can anyone help???

or possibly suggest a possibly volume to use. im looking at priming with honey

any thought would be appreciated
aaron

It will mate, It's normal fermentation. The yeast will start chomping on the new sugar introduced, only difference is you're trapping the CO2 in the bottle which is what causes the carbonation..

As a rule of thumb, generally the amount of alcohol increase from priming in bottles is about 0.5%..

For a good bulk priming calculator, just google 'Bulk priming calculator, and click the link which comes up from AHB.

Hope this helps mate.

James.

The highest temperature reached after primary fermentation has finished. If your beer ferments the first day at 28 degrees but only hits 21 after primary is over then 21 is the figure.

This needs correction. I believe I misinterpreted some early readings.

Highest temp reached during fermentation OR post fermentation so in my example 28 would be the figure.

Sorry.

@AaronR - look at the carbonation calculator on the beer recipator page. It has honey as a possible priming ingredient. CO2 doesn't directly affect alc content but your priming addition will add a tiny amount extra.

Highest temp reached during fermentation OR post fermentation so in my example 28 would be the figure.

Does this mean then that for most, I assume, that pitching temp will be the figure depending on time spent at that temp?

I for one always pitch (ales) at about 22-24'c, leave overnight and drop to 18'c, Then raise to 20'c for the last few days before CC.

I had (until now) disregarded the pitching temp as "not really brewing" but plugged in 20'c as the highest green temp.

er... is that wrong then :blink:

[edit] clarity

I would say 20C is your temperature to use but try 24C you probably only see a few grams difference in the amount of sugar to use. Hardly worth getting concerned about. Might make a bigger difference if you were lagering at very low temps for an extended period.

I am a lazy brewer and usually use 150-160g per 23Litre batch of ale the results are good enough for me without delving into calculations. :icon_cheers:

Does this mean then that for most, I assume, that pitching temp will be the figure depending on time spent at that temp?

I for one always pitch (ales) at about 22-24'c, leave overnight and drop to 18'c, Then raise to 20'c for the last few days before CC.

I had (until now) disregarded the pitching temp as "not really brewing" but plugged in 20'c as the highest green temp.

er... is that wrong then :blink:

[edit] clarity

Fermentation, not pitching. Once the yeast starts producing CO2. Quick temperature spikes should also be ignored. The article I linked to in my first post by Butters explains it but read a few times so you don't take a misinterpretation and run with it like I did for a while.

Fermentation, not pitching. Once the yeast starts producing CO2. Quick temperature spikes should also be ignored. The article I linked to in my first post by Butters explains it but read a few times so you don't take a misinterpretation and run with it like I did for a while.

the question does come to mind that at what timeframe is it deemed to be a registerable figure at higher temp? :blink: 12-24 hours? 24-36?

gut feel says about the 24 mark but thats just guessing and Ive recently had curry :rolleyes:

It will mate, It's normal fermentation. The yeast will start chomping on the new sugar introduced, only difference is you're trapping the CO2 in the bottle which is what causes the carbonation..

As a rule of thumb, generally the amount of alcohol increase from priming in bottles is about 0.5%..

For a good bulk priming calculator, just google 'Bulk priming calculator, and click the link which comes up from AHB.

Hope this helps mate.

James.

cool thanks for that.

my first time bulk priming so dont want to end up with bottle bombs. any suggestions on a co2 volume to use??

GBs are good when they're nice and fizzy, so maybe up around 3 vol, give or take

Latest posts

Back