First Partial Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabs

Reaction score
G'day all

Pulled this recipe from another website, tastes fantasic at the moment and almost ready to bottle....
Im after some advise on what to bulk prime with and how much??? Thanks in advance!!!!

Batch Size = 23L
OG = 1.061 (assumes 70% mash efficiency)
Estimated IBU's = 40 IBU
Boil volume = at least 10L

Grain / Extract Bill
1 x Coopers Real Ale kit
1kg Coopers Light DME
1.5kg Pale ale malt (Mariss Otter preferably)
1kg Munich malt
300g Light Crystal malt
200g Amber malt

Hop Schedule
20g EK Goldings 5% A/A 30 mins
20g Cascade 6% A/A 15 mins
20g Fuggles (aroma/dry hop)

Cheers Rabs

Prime with dextrose if you're after a neutral character. Dextrose ferments out almost entirely leaving minimal residue, it ferments quickly (about 1-2 weeks from my experience).

Measurements are about 1 tea spoon per stubbie or 2 teaspoons for a long neck. Or you can use carbonation drops (expensive though) which are about a teaspoon each. I'm not sure about an IPA's carbonation needs, but I'd be guessing that perhaps even 1.5 teaspoons for a long neck would do the job well enough.

Otherwise, use the search function and read about bulk priming (if you have a cube/2nd fermenter to bulk prime in?) If you don't I recommend the trip to Bunnings, as the $10-15 you spend on a cube is wellllll worth it considering how inprecise and time consuming individual priming is.

EDIT: Butters beat me to it, those calculators are very helpful. :)

But how do you know what the "2.5" is comparable to? Is that 2.5 the number of liters of CO2 in the entire batch?

Latest posts

Back