First Partial - Aussie Lager Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmnug2

Reaction score
I'm really keen to do my first partial, I have read about and understand the process but I'm still confused about the different types of grains and hops and what they have to offer.
I know I need to experiment to see what the all taste and smell like so I'm really just looking for a starting point.

I have a 9.5L pot to do a boil in and I'm happy to make a small batch size (11L ish)

If you have an Aussie lager recipe can you plz help me out - particularly like Boags Premium (what sort of hops dominate it?)

Cheers!

If you want to do an aussie style lager, look at pride of ringwood hops. Saaz are another possibility (maybe as a later addition). Pale malt like pilsner, maybe a touch of wheat and a simple bittering addition with a neutral lager yeast, fermented cool.

Simple recipes but simple lagers are actually not that easy to get right. Have a look for 'moving to all grain for 30 bucks' - there is a small scale stovetop BIAB recipe for a simple aussie type beer at the beginning of that from memory.

When I started doing Partials about 18 months ago I did so in my eternal quest for Melbourne Bitter - seriously. Made some wee rippers, and you can do a full size batch with gear that you probably have already.

to get reasonably close to a Carlton style (you honestly need to go AG to get closer):

1.5 kg Pale Pilsener Malt (preferably Barrett Burston Galaxy)
500g white sugar
20g Pride of Ringwood (preferably flowers)

1 Morgans or Coopers Canadian Can

Lager yeast, S-189 - 11 grams.

Grab your eski and a kitchen container like the Woolies Decor 9 Litre one
decor.JPG
Mash the malt at 66 degrees for an hour in a water bath of 70 degrees (i.e. just mix it up in the decor and put it in the bath, close both lids and walk away for an hour)
Strain the runnings into a big stockpot through a cheap kitchen wire strainer. Sparge once, and you might manage most of a second sparge as well.
Bring the runnings to the boil, add the hops and boil for one hour.
Strain the wort through the strainer - hop flowers are great because they form a filter bed - straight into the fermenter.
Add sugar and the kit, stir well.
When cooled to pitching temp, pitch the S-189 (rehydrate it first)

Cold crash for 10 days using gelatine then Polyclar.

lager.JPG

The beauty of this yeast is that you can run it at 15-18 degrees no sweat, and at those temps are actually AFAIK what they use at CUB and Tooheys etc.

It will end up a bit more hoppy than Carlton. If you go all grain in the future your first thought will be "shit I know this stuff already" :lol:

All ingredients available from CraftBrewer or other sponsors. Morgans kits from LHBS only.

Latest posts

Back