First Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyethm

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to do my first lager. It's an ESB Bavarian Lager.

Having done some reading on this site I plan to do the following:

1. Make up as normal with a target wort temp of 20 degrees.
2. Pitch lager yeast (I think it's called Saf 23) at 20 degrees.
3. Once it starts fermenting bring the temp down as close to 12 degrees at possible.
4. Once it's finished fermenting, bring it back up to around 18 degrees for a few days
5. Drop it back down as cold as I can get it for a month and then bottle

The questions I have are:

1. Is the above OK?
2. Can it stay in the primary the whole time or should I rack to a secondary and at what stage?
3. In step 5 if i can't get it down to 2 degrees, is around 12 degrees going to be OK?

Cheers

Mark

pitch the yeast a little cooler. 20 is too high. pitch at 16 or so.
get it down as close to 10C as possible. about there is fine.

lagering requires extended period so at some stage you probably should rack. as to when varies on the person. I tend to let it finish fermenting then rack to get it off the trub if Im going to give it more time lagering. so I normally ferment for 4 weeks or so then rack and lager for another few weeks. or i ferment for 4-5weeks then bottle (with a diactic (sp) rest - bring up to 18C then crash chill )

Thanks for the reply citymorgue2.

i ferment for 4-5weeks then bottle (with a diactic (sp) rest - bring up to 18C then crash chill )

When you do it the second way, do you not cold store again after the crash chill?

Also how much yeast do you use? The yeast packet says to use 2 x 11.5g packets if fermenting below 15C.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the reply citymorgue2.

When you do it the second way, do you not cold store again after the crash chill?

Also how much yeast do you use? The yeast packet says to use 2 x 11.5g packets if fermenting below 15C.

Cheers

Mark

one packet of yeast should be fine for that beer,

pitch at around 20, then slowly bring down to around 11 over the next 24-48 hours, at which time it should have started fermenting

leave at 11 for around 2 weeks, then raise temp to around 18 for 24-48 hours

then, whilst still at 18, rack into cube and put back in fridge, start dropping the temp by 2 or 3 degrees per day, it will take a week to reach your lagering temp of 1 or 2 degrees

leave at this temp for as long as you can, then bottle or keg

try not to crash chill as this will knock your yeast out and they wont be as active for the lagering process

one packet of yeast should be fine for that beer,

pitch at around 20, then slowly bring down to around 11 over the next 24-48 hours, at which time it should have started fermenting

leave at 11 for around 2 weeks, then raise temp to around 18 for 24-48 hours

then, whilst still at 18, rack into cube and put back in fridge, start dropping the temp by 2 or 3 degrees per day, it will take a week to reach your lagering temp of 1 or 2 degrees

leave at this temp for as long as you can, then bottle or keg

try not to crash chill as this will knock your yeast out and they wont be as active for the lagering process

Shit Don alreadry

Back