First lager under pressure.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eats shop

Reaction score
I'm waiting to attempt a brew under pressure.
Going to be using a lager kit in a 19lt keg.

Should I make it to around 17lt?
How many packets of s189 would I need?
Would I add around 12psi from the beginning when doing a lager?

Wanting to experiment with something different :)
Thanks guys appreciate it

Do you have a spunding valve?

I see no harm in pressurising from bottle pre ferment. I sometimes do to ensure spunding valve is set right.

I would run 15PSI and ferment around 20c.

17L will be fine, the pressure helps keep the krausen down. You may consider using a safety device to protect your spunding valve, I can do a little mini post on how I made one if you like.

If doing a standard gravity wort and fermenting warm, you will be fine with a single packet.

Yeah I've got kegland one, (duotight blowtie) it's all my local had. Would have preferred a different one as these look cheap.

I'd love to see any pictures.
Awesome I'll use one and have one left for another batch :)

Will a diacetyl rest be needed or will it be fine due to temp.
What's the standard time at 20 degrees with a standard gravity. Cheers.

I would say should be all over within a week, and no need for as such, but I would let it sit for at least a day or two after it hits FG to clean up. Then cold crash, and lager as normal.

You can give gelatin fining a go too, which is fairly easy to do. I will get some pics up tomorrow and post em for you to see, but it's essentialy a T Piece and two carb caps from KL with some gas line and 2 gas disconnects hooked together. It lets the gas post run into a PET bottle and then out through the top, meaning if there is an overflow it won't mess up the spunding valve the bottle should catch it.

I would say should be all over within a week, and no need for as such, but I would let it sit for at least a day or two after it hits FG to clean up. Then cold crash, and lager as normal.

You can give gelatin fining a go too, which is fairly easy to do. I will get some pics up tomorrow and post em for you to see, but it's essentialy a T Piece and two carb caps from KL with some gas line and 2 gas disconnects hooked together. It lets the gas post run into a PET bottle and then out through the top, meaning if there is an overflow it won't mess up the spunding valve the bottle should catch it.
Okay cheers mate, yeah I've done the gelatin once before, the beer is actually just carbing at the moment.
Believe I know what you mean I'll try and set something like this up now. Pics will help :)
Cheers.

So I ended up just attaching the spunding as it is.
Here is a picture inside the chamber.
Top is a ginger beer.

Also though I'd add my new keezer I am building. (Basically finished)

Attachments

• IMG20201008184128.jpg
    IMG20201008184128.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_2020-10-08-21-28-14-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-08-21-28-14-18.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 63
Yeah that should be fine. Those spunding valves aren't so catastrophic if they get beer through them but they do look ridiculous lol

Yeah that should be fine. Those spunding valves aren't so catastrophic if they get beer through them but they do look ridiculous lol
Perfect. They do look easy enough to pull apart.
They sure do look cheap 🤣 I wanted a nice stainless one, but settled for what was available.
Cheers for the information mate.

Perfect. They do look easy enough to pull apart.
They sure do look cheap 🤣 I wanted a nice stainless one, but settled for what was available.
Cheers for the information mate.

I love the blowtie. Super easy to pull down and clean.

Wouldn't worry about liquid in a blowtie. A gauge however...

Set your pressure then remove the gauge - problem solved

Latest posts

Back