First Kit Cider Paranoia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used the Brigalow kit but the opacity is almost certainly the yeast doing its thing. It will drop clear in time.

[EDIT: typo]

I guess my point above was that the kit has an artificial sweetener that stops it going completely dry. Thought it was aspartame but either way, it's different to straight apple juice.

Cloudiness during fermentation is normal. It's mainly yeast in suspension - once it's done its job, it will drop out if given time to do so.

Thanks guys!
I had a feeling that it would be fine, as I had read somewhere here about ways to clarify the brew once it was done. But it's great to have those minor niggling voices put to rest.

Manticle: Sorry for the confusion! I was wondering why it would have had artificial sweeteners in it, but I figured that it was a common occurrence. Good to know that there is already sweeteners in it. Hopefully, coupled with the pear juice, it should sooth the missus' palate. Glad I didn't go ahead and whack some lactose in there as well!

Thanks again for the info guys!!

Well I got into a few of my first batch the other night, and its bloody tops in my opinion, as good as anything that ever came out of a mercury or strongbow bottle either way.

Maybe I'm easily pleased or biased or both!! But very impressed with the quality after only 3 weeks in the bottle, can only get better. Its dryish, but not so much that you think your drinking cheap wine, I can still taste the apples.

Looking forward to the next batch that has some blackcurrant, raspberry and strawberry juice in it. Cider number 3 is going to be loaded up with pear juice. Cant knock the brigalow kit for a base, but am going to try a black rock soon and gauge any difference.

This cider brewing has certainly slowed down the beer side of things, need to get another fv, had two but the other had a bit of an integrity failure around the tap thread so I chucked it. Need to replace it for sure, I'm getting thirsty!!

If you are a fan of pear cider, mangrove jacks British series pear cider kit. It is a bit more expensive than other kits but it is worth it IMO.
I bottled a brew a few weeks back( there's a thread somewhere) with some apple juice in it and tasted the first bottle a few days ago. ROUGH, definatly needs more time conditioning but it had a nice taste underneath the winey preconditioned taste. I have heard its a bit sweeter than most kits, it's the only one I have used so I don't know but IMO a cider should be sweetish

Also interesting is I just heard that they no longer call it British series it's now craft series and they are adding mixed berries kit and a strawberry and pear kit. http://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-cider-pouch

@Deepend: Good to hear things have worked out!
I've only just bottled my cider, gave it an extra week in the fermenter (mainly because the damn thing finished fermenting before I'd had a chance to get more bottle!!). The taste test yielded a nice, dry cider with a hint of pear, so we'll see if it's too intense for the missus. Think I'll be enjoying it though.

One thing I noticed was that the cider didn't have much of an apple taste to it, however the fermenter REEKS of it. I've just finished cleaning and sanitising it and it STILL has an apple twang. But that's what I was wanting to find out about the kit, hence why I shied away from adding apple juice this time around. Might have to get a new fermenter for the amber ale I'm fixing to brew next though....

@langaandy: That sounds like it's worth a shot. And it would save me having to open all those damn cans of pear juice.....

@BeardedWonder

What are you using to clean your fermenter?

I find I get the same thing after gb brews. My fix for this is to put about 5 litres of hot water in it(not boiling but should be making decent steam) add enough cleaning product for the water and put the lid on. Cover the air hole with a finder and give it a good shake. Hold it upright and move your finger off to release the built up steam( this will jet out so probs do it outside) and repeat a few times. Then add a few more litres of hot water, put the lid back on then let it sit for half hour to an hour. Then just give it a good wash out.

I find that the cleaning product in the steam tends to sweat out any smell.

Btw. I'm currently using the pink powder that came with it but when it's gone I'll probs move to simple green as I have heard its great.

I'm using a cleaning spray from the LHBS to clean the fermenter then sterilizing with the Cooper's sanitiser (fill the fermenter and leave it over night kinda deal).

My main problem with your suggestion is that my fermenter doesn't have a screw top lid. It's the Cooper's DIY kit fermenter, so it's reaaaaal basic.
The closest I get to sealing it is a couple of plastic clips that hold the lid down, but even then they wouldn't hold back any liquid if you tipped the fermenter over.

I'm going to try a bleach wash, but I'm kinda resigned to reserving that fermenter to stanky brews (this is my second brew and my first was a gingerbeer. Oddly, the smell of the cider has overcome the smell of ginger that the fermenter had after the first brew, so that's a technique to keep in mind.....) and going out and getting myself a 'proper' fermenter.
This one doesn't even have a airlock. Presumably the lid not sealing does the same job.

I'm wondering if using a steam cleaner (like a Karcher) would do anything.....possibly melt the damn thing. I'd be interested if there's anyone out there who has tried it.

When you say 'the pink powder' and 'the green powder', do you have a brand name you could give me?? Or will my LHBS know what I'm talking about?? I'm wanting to try a few different products and methods out to find what works best for me.

As for steam cleaning, I'm pretty sure the coopers kit is just a 25l bucket so not sure if it world melt but my advice would be to just buy a better fermenter and use the current one for ciders and gb. My lhbs sells the copper tun brand ones for 45 bucks.

As for branding on the pink powder I have no idea it was I a country brewer bag, but I am not a huge fan as it just smell like black but makes my hands feel slippery even after dried. However simple green is http://australia.simplegreen.com/ . Buy it from woollies or Coles as a concentrate bottle and you can dilute it how you want. Apparently it's a cleaner, disinfectant and sanitiser. What more do we need. ;)

Oh yeah, it's just a fancy 25L bucket with a hole in the bottom for the tap. I don't think there's any real reason why it shouldn't work (I'll find out this weekend when my first ever brew FINALLY finishes conditioning!!), but there's one or two things that I've found to be a bit clumsy or difficult. Dunno if a 'traditional' fermnter would be any improvement, but it's all I have to work with at the moment.

I'll keep my eye out for the Simple Green at the supermarket! Sounds like a winner!

Latest posts

Back