First Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Soon I'm going to brew my first IPH (English/American, don't really know the style :rolleyes: ).
I'm going for a Fruity/flowery/fresh beer to go with the bitterness from the hops. I've been playing around in Beersmith, (see below), and this is the recipe so far.

Ingredients:
------------

Grains/extract:

1,00 kg Light Dry Extract (10,0 EBC) Dry Extract 25,6 %
0,50 kg Amber Dry Extract (35,0 EBC) Dry Extract 12,8 %
1,50 kg Pale Liquid Extract (11,0 EBC) Extract 38,5 %
0,30 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (8,0 EBC) Grain 7,7 %
0,20 kg Biscuit Malt (50,0 EBC) Grain 5,1 %
0,20 kg Candi Sugar, Amber (20,0 EBC) Sugar 5,1 %
0,20 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0,0 EBC) Sugar 5,1 %

Hops:

35,00 gm Northern Brewer[7,00%] (60 min)
20,00 gm Cascade [7,30%] (60 min)
10,00 gm Tettnang [4,10%] (60 min)

15,00 gm Northern Brewer [7,00%] (30 min)
10,00 gm Cascade [7,30%] (30 min)

10,00 gm Northern Brewer [7,00%] (5 min)
15,00 gm Cascade [7,30%] (5 min)
10,00 gm Tettnang [4,10%] (5 min)

Yeast:

1 Pkgs London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318) (0,5L starter)

Mash:
-----

The grains steeps for 30 minutes at 70C in 9.5L water.

Fermentation:
---------------

14 days at 20C in primary fermentor before botteling.

Storrage for 3 weeks at 18C

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20,00 L
Boil Size: 12,00 L
Estimated OG: 1,058 SG
Estimated FG: 1,016 SG
Estimated Alkohol: 5,6%
Estimated Color: 16,9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 46,3 IBU

If any of you have some clever input/changes i would be very happy :beer:

Regards.
Why Cascade, tettnang, northern brewer....i assume they arent just random choices but what made you go with them?

Why Cascade, tettnang, northern brewer....i assume they arent just random choices but what made you go with them?

Firstly, because I already have the tettnang and northern brewer in the freezer, and secondly because, in my newbie head, it made sense to round off the more flowery/fruity cascade with some spice/refinement from the other two hops.
But it is kind of a jungle, when you dont know the taste of the hops (other than from what i read on the internet), and how to integrate them with each other yet.

But as said earlier, Im now going with an all Amarillo IPA, to learn the flavours before starting to experiment too much.

And to all the others, again thanks for all the replies!!! :icon_cheers:

I started reading Radical Brewing the other day & he suggests that high AA hops are for bean counters in mega breweries & not for home brewers which surprised me. It certainly isn't a rule that I'm likely to stick to.

My favourite (non German) hops are all high AA% hops (Citra, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo though currently 8.2% - all fantastically flavoured hops with no hop bitterness. In fact I gave a 40IBU beer to SWMBO and her comment was "it hasn't any bitterness at all" - just good hops.

Wasn't suggesting "don't use low AA% hops for bittering" - more just I don't generally bitter with low AA% hops myself and I prefer to let them come out as flavour and aroma additions from 15 minutes down to dry hop. I don't brew only for cost - I've had some expensive brews, but if I'm going for a simple-ish APA or IPA, not in a million years will I waste some good saaz or tett or EKG on an IPA or APA, when bold flavoursome hoppiness produced by the Yankee style hops are in style.

Totally respect the other opinions about single additions, choosing hops, yeast and malts for the same style of beer and using low AA% hops for non harsh bitterness.

Ironically I never used to use high AA% hops because they scared me and seemed like a bean-counter's bitterer (despite my being a bean counter) and I was worried about harsh bitterness. But the quality of flavour that some of the high AA% hops produce has sold me. MY Citra SMaSH ale disappeared at camping last week in alarming quantities, with my mate's NZ Dry beer being jettisoned for my homebrew with sound barrier breaking speed.
Goomba

Northern brewer is a great bittering hop - as neutral as you will find. My suggestion was forget aa (obviously not for IBU calculation) and focus on what the hop will actually give you. Bittering hops will still make themselves known in my experience. Nothing to do with bean counting or not bean counting. If making a noble hopped lager, use noble hops for bittering regardless of AA or cost. If making a super fruity AIPA use a super fruity US hop for bittering. If wanting to mix and match because you have an idea of each hop's characteristic

Since when? 1983 when it was created? As noble as mt hood & liberty
Should of said Noble style hop.
'A triploid variety developed from the German Hallertau aroma hop variety with primary contributions from Cascade, Brewer's Gold and Early Green. Released in 1993 to the hop industry.'

Well picked up jakub76, certainly on the ball aren't we. Sorry about the error.

It really is a delicious hop though, for my tastes anyway.

Just reading about noble hops and apparently they contain low levels of the harsher-tasting beta acids lupulone, colupulone and adlupulone.

Back