First Infection Suspected

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure that the ferment had reached FG before bottling?

Overcarbonation because of premature bottling could explain the foaminess, and the bottle getting too hot and a too hot ferment could explain "screwed up faceiness"

Of course, it could be infected... was it hazy? was there a ring around the top of the beer in the bottles? anything on the surface? floaters? chunks?

PS: if it is infected, and you wait long enough, it might turn into a nice lambic base to blend with other beers (circa 1 year)

Had definately reached FG. Had spent a few hours in the fridge, so wasn't warm beer. It wasn't a hot ferment, just a hot start, but brought down to within range very quickly.

Yes it was very hazy, there was a ring around the top (although I've seen this with other beers that have turned out lovely), couldn't see any floaters although the sediment did look a lot "fluffier" than normal and stirred up easier when moving the bottle.

When I want to have a beer, I decant into another PET bottle to leave the crap behind, and pop in the fridge. Some decant into a jug, I do it into a clean PET bottle, so that I can reseal it again. It never stays in the fridge longer than an hour. ;) As I said, I do normally get a little foam when poured but not half a bottle.
I'm also curious on the need to decant your beer...what "crap" are you leaving behind, just yeast sediment? If you're storing your bottles standing up it should all collect in the bottom of the bottle, and if you don't like it in your beer (I don't have a problem with it myself), just leave the last few ml in the bottle when pouring. Although I guess if you're using 750ml bottles you're pouring twice or more, so likely the 2nd pour will have some yeast sediment mixed back in.

I'm guessing he likes to drink from the bottle. Only thing that "makes sense".

I'm also curious on the need to decant your beer...what "crap" are you leaving behind, just yeast sediment? If you're storing your bottles standing up it should all collect in the bottom of the bottle, and if you don't like it in your beer (I don't have a problem with it myself), just leave the last few ml in the bottle when pouring. Although I guess if you're using 750ml bottles you're pouring twice or more, so likely the 2nd pour will have some yeast sediment mixed back in.

Yeah I'm using 750ml bottles, I want to pour only once to leave the sediment behind. So I decant into another bottle, then I can use that one to pour two or three glasses at my leisure. That's what everyone does with home brew, or at least everyone I know. They usually decant into a jug or something like that rather than another PET, but the idea is the same.

So I decant into another bottle, then I can use that one to pour two or three glasses at my leisure. That's what everyone does with home brew..

:huh:

No they don't.

Actually, if i bottle (rarely), i like to pour only once too. But then again, i use a big glass. :beerbang:

Never heard of anyone going bottle to bottle to glass. Yes, it is different from going bottle to jug to glass. Keep doing it since it works for you but it is...statistically uncommon.

:huh:

No they don't.

Actually, if i bottle (rarely), i like to pour only once too. But then again, i use a big glass. :beerbang:

You snipped that quote Nath. ;)

I usually use 400ml glasses so need to pour twice. Decanting just keeps the beer clear. Like I said, everyone I know who does home brew does just that...although not into another PET bottle.

You snipped that quote Nath. ;)

I usually use 400ml glasses so need to pour twice. Decanting just keeps the beer clear. Like I said, everyone I know who does home brew does just that...although not into another PET bottle.

Yes, that's true mate, sorry i forgot to add the "snip" thingy..

Like bum is eluding to though, i reckon it'd be better to decant into a jug as opposed to a bottle. I don't reckon my aim would be good enough to get it into the bottle without spilling most of it for a start, and the foaming would be much more excessive than using a jug.

What you could do though is go to a bottle shop, and at the moment, they are selling lots of different beers in 2lt packs with a nice thick beer stein for around $20. Not bad value in my books. Then drink that beer, (some varieties are better than others) then use the stein to pour into if you don't have a jug.

Win, win.

Yes, that's true mate, sorry i forgot to add the "snip" thingy..

Like bum is eluding to though, i reckon it'd be better to decant into a jug as opposed to a bottle. I don't reckon my aim would be good enough to get it into the bottle without spilling most of it for a start, and the foaming would be much more excessive than using a jug.

What you could do though is go to a bottle shop, and at the moment, they are selling lots of different beers in 2lt packs with a nice thick beer stein for around $20. Not bad value in my books. Then drink that beer, (some varieties are better than others) then use the stein to pour into if you don't have a jug.

Win, win.

I never loose a drop. Just sit the neck of one bottle inside the other and pour carefully. I leave behind about half an inch in the original bottle and have crystal clear beer in the 2nd. This can be capped and put back in the fridge, or taken to a BBQ without stirring up any sediment at all.

Works great and never had a problem with the hundreds of pours that I've done...until this one.

I never loose a drop. Just sit the neck of one bottle inside the other and pour carefully. I leave behind about half an inch in the original bottle and have crystal clear beer in the 2nd. This can be capped and put back in the fridge, or taken to a BBQ without stirring up any sediment at all.

Works great and never had a problem with the hundreds of pours that I've done...until this one.
Interesting, I guess i'm still new to this game, but this is the first time I've heard about decanting beer before pouring. I don't care about the clarity of my brew, and in fact being a weizen fan prefer it cloudy with yeast in suspension for that style.

Do you rack your beer to a secondary and let sit for a while, or bottle straight from the primary as soon as fermentation is complete? And do you use irish moss or similar after your boil to help clear your beer?

Interesting, I guess i'm still new to this game, but this is the first time I've heard about decanting beer before pouring. I don't care about the clarity of my brew, and in fact being a weizen fan prefer it cloudy with yeast in suspension for that style.

Do you rack your beer to a secondary and let sit for a while, or bottle straight from the primary as soon as fermentation is complete? And do you use irish moss or similar after your boil to help clear your beer?

I just find it easier this way, that way I can take a capped full bottle (or several) with me if I go out, with no sediment at all. :) Pop them in a chilly bin and away I go.

I bottle from primary after about two or three weeks when it's cleared up. Usually end up with about 5mm of sediment in the original bottle, the rest is crystal clear. If I'm pouring into a jug or a large glass that can hold the whole bottle, I don't bother with this. It's usually if I'm taking some beer out with me, or if I'm pouring into small glasses and would have to pour more than once.

I use Irish moss and the beer is normally very clear, with the exception of chill haze sometimes.

EDIT: I think I forgot to add Irish moss in this one though.

Had definately reached FG. Had spent a few hours in the fridge, so wasn't warm beer. It wasn't a hot ferment, just a hot start, but brought down to within range very quickly.

Yes it was very hazy, there was a ring around the top (although I've seen this with other beers that have turned out lovely), couldn't see any floaters although the sediment did look a lot "fluffier" than normal and stirred up easier when moving the bottle.

Doesn't need all the symptoms to be an infection... but hazy and a ring are big ones, along with "over carbonated" and "awful smell/taste"

Doesn't need all the symptoms to be an infection... but hazy and a ring are big ones, along with "over carbonated" and "awful smell/taste"

Can't a ring just be yeast? I've had some really nice brews that have had a ring. In fact every single one since I started using us-05.

EDIT: Just cracked one open that wasn't exposed to the sun. No excessive carb and no awful smell (wife confirmed :)). Still doesn't taste that great but only two weeks old, certainly not vomit inducing. It's still cloudy, but that could be chill haze due to my piss poor effort in cooling this one after the boil.

Looks like I may only need to ditch half of them. Guess I'll just see how we go, I'll give them another week and try again.

Never heard of anyone going bottle to bottle to glass. Yes, it is different from going bottle to jug to glass. Keep doing it since it works for you but it is...statistically uncommon.

When I use to bottle in 2L PET, I'd pour 2L into another 2L and put the cap back on and in the fridge.

Sediment free beer for every glass; and doesn't go flat for hours.

Rocket science.

When I use to bottle in 2L PET, I'd pour 2L into another 2L and put the cap back on and in the fridge.

Sediment free beer for every glass; and doesn't go flat for hours.

Rocket science.

Finally, someone agrees with me :D

Just tried one of the bottles that was exposed to the sun, and it was fine. Very green, but fine.

Maybe the brown PET bottles offer more protection than I thought. I'm thinking that the first bottle may have been a single bottle infection...I hope so anyway.

All hope is not lost. :)

Can't a ring just be yeast? I've had some really nice brews that have had a ring. In fact every single one since I started using us-05.

EDIT: Just cracked one open that wasn't exposed to the sun. No excessive carb and no awful smell (wife confirmed :)). Still doesn't taste that great but only two weeks old, certainly not vomit inducing. It's still cloudy, but that could be chill haze due to my piss poor effort in cooling this one after the boil.

Looks like I may only need to ditch half of them. Guess I'll just see how we go, I'll give them another week and try again.

It's been a while now since I bottled :)

Latest posts

Back