First Infection And A Dumb Mistake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pommiebloke

Reaction score
Think I've just got my first infection. Was about to bottle the mild I've had fermenting for a few weeks and had a taste only to discover a very strong distinct sour/vinegar taste.

What's worst is I had only just dumped in a cube of pale ale I brewed at the weekend on top of the yeast cake!!

Hard lesson to learn. Always taste BEFORE re-using yeast!! So that's 2 wasted batches. :unsure:

sorry to hear it

personally i dont re-pitch on the cake for this reason...either use dry or split the initial yeast

Oh man, that truly sucks. :eek:
Have a taste of the batch you just put in. Let it run it's course anyway just to see if it comes through okay.
And put it down as a lesson learnt.

Yeah, going to let the last batch go and see what happens.

I remember taking a sample of the mild via the tap after about a week and finding a fly in the glass. Bet that was what caused it.

Soaking everything in bleach for a day or two and then I will starsan. Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

If it's any consolation I doubt he drank much.

That sucks though. Hopefully the pales drinkable if not it'll still feed the lawn.

Back