FIRST IN QLD - TANK BEER now at THE PLOUGH INN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that CUB already have this CD set up at The Moseley in Glenelg SA. Huge copper tank suspended horizontally above the bar. Had a beer out of it last year, was ok i guess. Gimic.

thylacine said:
Pic attached from Prague venue visited in 2013. i.e. 'tank beer' housed in a glass cabinet; and this place offered TWO beer styles! ;-)
Is that Lokal? I went there in Jan 2013, they offered those 2 beers in a few different options, "cream", "slice" and "sweet". These equated to different sizes of head, I think cream was almost 100% head, sweet was 2/3rds head and slice was half and half.

Here 'tis being delivered to beer deluxe in Fed Square, Melbourne:

It's also on at the Regatta Hotel in Brisbane. According to their site it's trucked all the way from Abbotsford, that's surprising as I always assumed that CD was also made at Yatala, maybe they don't have the facilities to do the tank (unpasterised) version there.

Don't care either way - surely the mob selling it could check how to spell the word lager correctly in their press release/web page.

Little tanks of heaven, Pilsner Urque Brewery Restaurant, Plzên, Czech Republic, Oct 2015
image.jpeg

Holds the unfiltered, unpasteurized, open fermented in wood, lagered in wood version of the beer. Which is delicious.

image.jpeg

(Stupid upside down forum posts)

Relations of mine had it at the Terminus at Abbotsford (literally down the road from the Abbostford plant) which is in the lairy copper tanks proudly displayed behind the bar. He's a Carlton Draught devotee when he's not in the mood for Dry or Melbourne bitter. Over a series of messages he was informed by the bar staff that it was unpasteurised and came direct from the fermentation tanks. I asked how it got the bubbles and there were suggestions that it was still fermenting...
???
Something lost in translation there. In any case he said it was better than the standard offering and not as gassy. Though I still found it odd that he repeated it was unpasteurised, as opposed to it simply being a beer which has not been packaged. Because really is there so much merit in a beer being unpasteurised that it should be celebrated? He didn't mention it was 99.9% fat free. Amusingly as Klangers said, they're not kitted to pasteurise using this delivery method so maybe the sales boffins have gone "this is going to be a nightmare to pasteurise doing it this way... why don't we just not pasteurise it, and then advertise it as unpasteurised? Most people don't even know what it means anyway" Basically writes itself.

I debate that it doesn't come in contact with air at any stage. What's in the tank before it's filled with liquid? CO2 undoubtedly, but that's no different to a normal packing line surely, be it in a keg or bottle. There will always be some exposure to O2.

I do however support the concept of moving beer in bulk like this because surely it's a more cost-effective / environmentally friendly method of moving beer than kegging and bottling. Obviously only suits popular beers though and would be tough to have a varied range served this way at an individual venue.

Yob said:
attachicon.gif
2015-12-11_8-20-32.jpg

they look to be a decent bloody size too!!

mmmmm barrels :icon_drool2:
I think they were circa 1200L, you can see the daily readings on the side of this one

IMG_2424.jpg

And in the next chamber was the lagering room... where I nice old man decanted me a glass direct from the lagering barrel ;)

IMG_2448.jpg

Says 38HL on this one... 3800L

The advantage of non pasteurisation is that the beer is "fresher".. with the old UK tank beers a lot of really quaffable beers such as Newcastle Exhibition that was always served off tank had a different, somehow plasticky flavour and far too gassy when they scrapped the tanks and introduced "keg ex" as it was called. I suppose it's a bit like farm fresh milk as opposed to dollar milk from the supermarket.

Again, for anyone who is in the area, try a few XXXX heavies off the wood at Breakfast Creek and you'll be surprised at the difference.

Latest posts

Back