First Hefe attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kane85

Reaction score
After having my first child and moving house over the past 6 months I have found little time for brewing. Now I have settled in however I have managed to put 2 simple brews together to get back into things.

I have decided my next brew will be a BIAB hefeweizen. Im making the recipe off the top of my head and have decided on:

4kg wheat
1kg munich

Mash temp of 69 for 60min.

Hersbrucker hops 30g for 30min.

Wyeast 3068 at 18 deg.

Have decided to keep it fairly simple for the first go. Let me know what you guys think and I will update on how it turns out.

here is my Hefe for this Sunday.

Have you made it before with Munich?
Code:
Recipe: 63 - Hefeweizen 2 	TYPE: All Grain
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 8.1 EBC		
IBU: 12.9 IBUs Tinseth	
OG: 1.047 SG		
FG: 1.012 SG		
BU:GU: 0.275			
EE%: 63.00 %	
Batch: 20.00 l      
BT: 60 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 4.90 kg	Total Hops: 14.00 g oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------

Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
2.40 kg               Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner (3.5 EBC)  Grain         1        49.0 %        
2.40 kg               Wheat Malt, Ger (4.0 EBC)                Grain         2        49.0 %        
0.10 kg               Melanoiden Malt (70.0 EBC)               Grain         3        2.0 %         

Name                         Description                                  Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In                      Add 24.00 l of water and heat to 20.0 C over 20.0 C        0 min         
Protien Rest                 Heat to 53.0 C over 20 min                   53.0 C        30 min        
B Rest                       Heat to 63.0 C over 10 min                   63.0 C        20 min        
A Rest                       Heat to 72.0 C over 4 min                    72.0 C        35 min        
Mash Out                     Heat to 78.0 C over 10 min                   78.0 C        30 min        

---SPARGE PROCESS---
Fly sparge with 8.04 l water at 75.6 C

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.040 SG	Est OG: 1.047 SG
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
14.00 g               Hallertauer, New Zealand [8.00 %] - Boil Hop           4        12.9 IBUs     

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 09/13/14 - 7.00 Days at 17.0 C
Style Carb Range: 2.50-2.90 Vols
Kegging Date: 09/20/14 with 3.0 Volumes CO2: 
---NOTES------------------------------------

If you can, I highly recommend following Zwickel's weizen mash schedule, or at the very least, try to include a ferulic acid rest. I also find that fermenting at 17 gives me the best balance of clove and banana. I'd also be inclined to swap some of the wheat malt for Pilsner malt. Good luck.
Zwickel's mash schedule
mash in at 35°C and heat up to 42°C rest for 40-45min (ferulic-acid rest)
go further to 63°C and rest for 30min
go to 72° and rest for 30min
heat up to 78°C and mash out.

If you can, do a 30 rule ferment - pitch at 12 rise to 18. The clove/nana balance is such jay you really struggle to pick either.

Kane, i tend to go the 50/50 grain bill with my Hefe's.
Also hops i go 12-15 IBUs at 60 mins
Mash in at 66c i really think 69 is too high for this style.
Love my hefes!
Just brewed a new one after few years break.
2.5kg wheat
2.5kg pilsner
20g liberty @ 60mins
Mash 90mins at 66c
This time i used a different yeast after recommendations from others. Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale.
I doubt i will try it again with this yeast its just not the same.

G'day Kane,

My opinion is that Munich will add body without a high mash temp. IIRC my weizens benefit from a 63C sacc rest and ferment out well.I normally don't mash my main rest for more than 60 minutes, to help you keep it simple (this time, at least). Higher mash temp for a lite weizen, though (leichtes weissbier). (edit for lite weizen)

I've never used Munich to sub for Pils, and the colour may be a tad dark, but if that's what you have, it's well worth a try.

FWIW, German weissbier uses 60-70% wheat and the remainder is pale grain. Why, you ask? It can be a B!tch to lauter without rice gulls, especially if you have a deep grain bed (like a round cooler or keg mash tun). I have no probs with my rectangular esky re drainage on most occasions, and I'd definitely recommend the rectangular configuration for wheat beer mashing. BIAB = no probs there.

Beware that a 30min hop addition may add a lot of hop flavour that may interfere with the ester profile (it may however augment the overall flavour profile). Please report back here on that aspect, at least.

Never been more than slightly tempted to use other than a weizen yeast for this style of wheat beer.

Thanks for all the info. Im thinking I will rwduce my temps a few degrees and extend my hop boil say 20g over 60min. I dont want too much bitterness or hop flavor in this one.

I saw that pale is the way to go with wheat for this one however decided on munich just for my own spin on things. I will most likely do one with pale next to compare results.

Trevandjo said:
Do you find it benefits from an extended mash?
Can't for the life of me remember why lol, like I said haven't brewed in a few years so this was a nice simple one to get back into it.

Les the Weizguy said:
Never been more than slightly tempted to use other than a weizen yeast for this style of wheat beer.
Les, I was told that I would get more banana from this yeast. I've not been able to taste the clove in my beers before I think that's more me not knowing what i'm tasting than anything else.
But I love me a whole bunch of banana squeezed in to a brew :D
Saying that this yeast has given the beer a completely different profile, dry (finished at 1.004 meant to be 1.012) tart and banana galore. More like not, quite ripe banana.

Mr. No-Tip said:
If you can, do a 30 rule ferment - pitch at 12 rise to 18. The clove/nana balance is such jay you really struggle to pick either.
Is this valid for sealed fermenters or is it more geared towards open fermentation?

Back