First Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Hey fellas. Just starting a thread with a few questions before I begin my first extract brew.

After a few Coopers Kit brews I want to start using hops and get away from the cans. My first extract recipe I am going to attempt is the famous Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. :D :D

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

In the recipeDB there is note that indicates that instead of using the Thomas Coopers SA can I can substitute light malt extract and do a 60 min boil of 20g of Amarillo for the bittering.

Would there much of a taste difference between using the Coopers can or bittering using the hops? At this stage I am aiming to just use the can of unhopped light malt extra and bitter it with Amarillo. I assume this method would improve the taste but want to make sure.

Also, I've read up about boiling the hops but I can't find a standard boil size. What would be recommended for this brew? Just do the 15 and 5min boiling in a couple litres of water with some malt? What amounts is recommended? I am tempted to by a hop sock but then I read many just drop the pellets into the boil?

Lastly, the recipe calls for Caramalt. Would Caramunich 1 Malt be fine or just stick with the Caramalt?

Very excited to brew this recipe as I've read much about it!

Thanks for the answers, these questions are pretty silly but I am keen to hit the ground running with this extract. :p :p

I would use the can of unhopped malt instead of the sparkling can as there is a difference. I think most hopped cans use isohop extract in the can and can be a bit harsher compared to doing your own hop boil where it tastes a lot smoother with the bitterness.

I use a 15lt pot on the wok burner in the kitchen an usually do about a 10 lt boil with the steepings from the caramalt + about 1kg of the malt to get the boil gravity to about 1.040 which is what you want to achieve good hop efficiency with extraction during the boil.

After doing the hour boil and the additions of hops finished add the rest of the extract and dissolve it all in and strain into the fermenter to get out the hop sludge, chill to correct temp then pitch yeast.

I would use either the caramunich 1 or caramalt, the results will be well worth it

Cheers Coops :beer:

Another good reason for ditching the pre-hopped cans is that you will be introducing you own flavour hops as well, when using the kits your pretty much stuck with that flavour profile unless you boil the crap out of it for an hour (then you'll prolly end up with a darker wort). Note that you wont change the bitterness in kits by boiling them, only drive off the flavour hops

For an extract recipe like that I get a 5L pot, fill it with 4L of hot tap water and steep my grain for about 30 minutes.

Then remove the grain and let it drain for a few minutes by hanging it above the pot.

Now add maybe 250g of malt (dry or liquid) to the liquid and bring it to the boil.

Add your first bittering hop addition and note the time (other additions at relevant times).

After 60 minutes, dump this liquid in your fermenter using it instead of boiling water to dissolve your ingredients.

I've never had an issue with getting enough bittering from such a small volume.

BTW - as above, ditch the hopped coopers can. Replace it with 1.5kg of LDME.

If the hop schedule is 15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop, why do you do a 60 minute boil in total?

Could you not just get the liquid boiling and add the first hops. Then after 10 minutes add the second hops. After the final 5 minutes boiling, cool and transfer into the fermenter. i.e. 15 minutes in total.

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Mark

Edit: Sorry missed it is being converted to an extract brew, so I'm assuming an extract brew normally includes a 60 minute boil.

KM - usually an extract brew will include a 60 minute boil to extract all the bitternes from the hops, but finally it all depends on your target IBU.

Here is a link with a DSGA recipe. I followed the one from Beerfingers and finish out great!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=36160

It is also useful to get a copy of ianh spreadsheet (on the K&K section). You can start modifying things around and get a sense of what does what to your beer.

KM - usually an extract brew will include a 60 minute boil to extract all the bitternes from the hops, but finally it all depends on your target IBU.

Here is a link with a DSGA recipe. I followed the one from Beerfingers and finish out great!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=36160

It is also useful to get a copy of ianh spreadsheet (on the K&K section). You can start modifying things around and get a sense of what does what to your beer.

+1, especially ianh speadsheet. Even if this particular brew doesnt require a 60min boil, IMO its a good practice to get into when starting on extracts.It also gives you time to get organised take notes and pics etc between start and additions., I would also prefer to use the unhopped malt as its adding much more of your skills, not mr cooper's.
2c
Daz

I would also prefer to use the unhopped malt as its adding much more of your skills, not mr cooper's.

...and having real hops in your beer makes it tasty. :icon_cheers: I'm sure a "different" bitterness profile is taken from hops processed in liquid carbon dioxide, than by boiling in wort.

Thanks for the replies, guys! :icon_cheers:

Ducked down to the LHBS and I asked for caramalt and they gave me a tin of Morgans Caramalt. Using 250gms of this will be ok?

I think you'll find the Morgans Caramalt isn't 100% Caramalt, it's prolly like 60/40 Cara/Pale. Should say on the can somewhere, could be wrong though, but I know some of the othe Morgans malts aren't 100% what the can is labelled. Shouldn't make that much of a difference though I wouldn't think.

I think you'll find the Morgans Caramalt isn't 100% Caramalt, it's prolly like 60/40 Cara/Pale. Should say on the can somewhere, could be wrong though, but I know some of the othe Morgans malts aren't 100% what the can is labelled. Shouldn't make that much of a difference though I wouldn't think.

You're probably right.

Just looking at the can it says; "a concentration of caramel malts" and "made from 100% two row malted barley" amongst other things written on it.

Just did a search and found a can that is blended like you say here http://www.homebrewbarn.com/morgcaraml.html
But the can I have looks almost identicle except it has "Amber" underneath the word Caramalt and instead of Blend it has "Malt Extract".

Just found the can I have. http://gordonwooliesbeermakers.co.cc/wp-co...06/DSC02127.JPG

I am guessing it should be fine to put 250gms in. Cheers fellas.! :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the replies, guys! :icon_cheers:

Ducked down to the LHBS and I asked for caramalt and they gave me a tin of Morgans Caramalt. Using 250gms of this will be ok?

Hey Aus,

I'm a complete noob at this myself but I thought the '250g caramalt' was referring to the specialty grain that needs to be steeped? I'm assuming that Morgans can is the extract version of that particular grain? Just curious.

BTW I just finished bottling my first extract which was also the Dr's GA. I steeped 250g of caramalt which I bought online and It tastes great warm and flat so fingers crossed in a month it will be bloody beautiful!! :icon_drool2:

Hey Aus,

I'm a complete noob at this myself but I thought the '250g caramalt' was referring to the specialty grain that needs to be steeped? I'm assuming that Morgans can is the extract version of that particular grain? Just curious.

BTW I just finished bottling my first extract which was also the Dr's GA. I steeped 250g of caramalt which I bought online and It tastes great warm and flat so fingers crossed in a month it will be bloody beautiful!! :icon_drool2:

That's exactly what I am thinking! I was assuming any light crystals would be in grain form and I got a shock when old mate at the LHBS pointed to a malt tin. This was only my third visit to the LHBS and I beginning to think I will just buy online. I bought S-04 and US-05 yeasts as well as a few different types of hops from craftbrewer.com.au and am very happy. The bloke at the LHBS was different and not the usual character.

I asked for "caramalt light crystal" and he grabbed the can. I asked if that's the only form and he said that's the one. So I don't know. Where did you buy online and how did it arrive? In grain form?

The bloke at the LHBS was different and not the usual character.

Sounds like the usual LHBS character to me. Anyone who has a LHBS any different to that should consider themselves blessed.

Sounds like the usual LHBS character to me. Anyone who has a LHBS any different to that should consider themselves blessed.

hehe yea with the little experience I've had I couldn't agree more. I just buy what I need now and don't bother with the questions. Much more helpful and knowledgeable people here.

And Aus I just bought my stuff from craftbrewer. I ordered hops, grains and yeast. Turned up well sealed and then straight in the fridge :)

The caramalt will turn up in grain form. You will need to fill in a box asking for milled or unmilled and also mixed or unmixed.
You want your grain milled if your steeping and mixed or unmixed applies if your ordering more than 1 type of grain.

Corcatraz

Master Blends composition: 1 KG Specialty Blends (now new package: 1.5kg)
Beer Enhancer (2-row Pale extract, Glucose, and Honey; 1.2 EBC) Lager Malt (100% 2-row Lager malt; 2.4 EBC) Caramalt (60% Caramalt and 40% Pale malt; 12 EBC) Dark Crystal Malt (60% Dark Crystal and 40% Vienna malt; 38.4 EBC) Wheat Malt (60% Wheat and 40% Pilsner malt; 3.2 EBC) Chocolate Malt (15% Chocolate and 85% Munich malt; 21.6 EBC) Roasted Black Malt (12% Roasted Black malt and 88% Munich malt; 50.8 EBC)
Morgans Masterblend extracts only 50% fermentable;

http://www.morgansbrewing.com.au/assets/up...rewersNews4.pdf
http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/view/page/34/news/9.html

hehe yea with the little experience I've had I couldn't agree more. I just buy what I need now and don't bother with the questions. Much more helpful and knowledgeable people here.

And Aus I just bought my stuff from craftbrewer. I ordered hops, grains and yeast. Turned up well sealed and then straight in the fridge :)

The caramalt will turn up in grain form. You will need to fill in a box asking for milled or unmilled and also mixed or unmixed.
You want your grain milled if your steeping and mixed or unmixed applies if your ordering more than 1 type of grain.

Corcatraz

Did the same. I will be buying from them from now on. :icon_cheers:
Thanks for answering my question. I will put the next brew off til I get the proper Caramalt grain.

Master Blends composition: 1 KG Specialty Blends (now new package: 1.5kg)
Beer Enhancer (2-row Pale extract, Glucose, and Honey; 1.2 EBC) Lager Malt (100% 2-row Lager malt; 2.4 EBC) Caramalt (60% Caramalt and 40% Pale malt; 12 EBC) Dark Crystal Malt (60% Dark Crystal and 40% Vienna malt; 38.4 EBC) Wheat Malt (60% Wheat and 40% Pilsner malt; 3.2 EBC) Chocolate Malt (15% Chocolate and 85% Munich malt; 21.6 EBC) Roasted Black Malt (12% Roasted Black malt and 88% Munich malt; 50.8 EBC)
Morgan's Masterblend extracts only 50% fermentable;

http://www.morgansbrewing.com.au/assets/up...rewersNews4.pdf
http://www.aussiebrewmakers.com.au/view/page/34/news/9.html

Morgans must have changed there lineup since then. The can I have isn't in the article or has a different label since then.
Anyway I will save the can of caramalt for another brew and get the correct stuff for the DSGA.

i know this style is lower carbonated - i'm probably not bulk priming as yet.
if i'm filling up 750ml should i go for 1/2, 3/4 the usual amount or what?

Latest posts

Back