First Extract Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on whether you'd like it half as fizzy or three quarters as fizzy?

If you're trying to do it specifically to style or for a comp or something then I'd suggest bulk priming (it's a piece of piss and you can do it in the primary fermenter). I'm sure you can do it with simple sugar additions but it might take a few brews to work out where your tastes etc lie.

If it's not got to be perfect for something else then just have a go at 3/4 or 2/3 or 1/2 depending on your tastes.

First extract brew is now in the fermenter and hopefully bubbling away by this time tomorrow.

Few lessons learnt and things picked up. I should have prepared better. Was searching around like a madman for a suitable strainer. I was really looking forward to smelling the hops for the first time. The Amarillo had a nice flowery and herbal smell in my opinion. While boiling away they smelt delicious!

Before I pitched the yeast I had a sample after clearing the tap and the herbal taste was strong. I know that's the idea but it was almost overwhelming. Will this subside? I didn't mind the taste at all, just seemed very herbal and sweet. I guess the bittering will come out as it ferments. I followed the recipe with 20g for 60, 15g for 15 and 15g for 5.

The OG was at 1040 which is a bit low according to ianh's spreadsheet. I had a think about it and double checked my fermenter and it seems I am sitting at 24 and a little bit liters. Would the extra liter affect the OG reading?

Cheers for the advice!

Back