First Brew In New Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
Gooday Brewers
Yesterday was the day to christen my new fermenter. The day started out well mashed in by 6.30 am a simple aussie ale Ashers recipe. By 9.30 I had collected 90 litres of wort time to fire up the Nasa oh shit in all the planning I forgot to fill the gas bottle. Over to BCF a quick refill and back to brewing but the gas regulator will not seal to the gas bottle the rubber seal is badly worn . 2 1/2 hrs later after adapting parts from the regulator on the bbq involving some lathe work I have the nasa fired up. I finally locked the shed at 5pm with 70 litres of beer in the fermenter and a very satisfied feeling. I have attached a photo of the fermenter in the fermentation fridge.
Happy Australia day to everyone Altstart :D

jse_P1260253.jpg

That looks great Alstart

Do you fill it up in the fridge or do you fill up first and two of you lift it in

What is that pipe out the top

is it a tight seal on the top

Is it from the US or local ?

Pumpy :)

That looks great Alstart

Do you fill it up in the fridge or do you fill up first and two of you lift it in

What is that pipe out the top

is it a tight seal on the top

Is it from the US or local ?

Pumpy :)

Gooday Pumpy
The fridge is on a trolley with H/D casters I fill it in the fridge and the casters make it easy to move. The pipe is a small tube welded in down which a pick up tube from a corny keg with the bottom end welded shut fits nicely. If the corny tube had been directly welded in it would not have been possible to fit or remove the lid with the fermenter in the fridge. The seal on the top is airtight with the the lid bolted down but without the bolts it is insect proof. The unit was manufactured here in Brisbane and I am very pleased with it.
Cheers Altstart

Gooday Brewers
Yesterday was the day to christen my new fermenter. The day started out well mashed in by 6.30 am a simple aussie ale Ashers recipe. By 9.30 I had collected 90 litres of wort time to fire up the Nasa oh shit in all the planning I forgot to fill the gas bottle. Over to BCF a quick refill and back to brewing but the gas regulator will not seal to the gas bottle the rubber seal is badly worn . 2 1/2 hrs later after adapting parts from the regulator on the bbq involving some lathe work I have the nasa fired up. I finally locked the shed at 5pm with 70 litres of beer in the fermenter and a very satisfied feeling. I have attached a photo of the fermenter in the fermentation fridge.
Happy Australia day to everyone Altstart :D

G'day Jim,

What a ripper of a fermenter. Glad to hear that all ended well despite the brewday dramas. :)
I take it that you still drain to fermenter by gravity using your block & tackle setup?
Is the (Empty) conical easy to take out & clean as it looks a neat fit in that fridge?
Happy Brewing.

TP :beer:

G'day Jim,

What a ripper of a fermenter. Glad to hear that all ended well despite the brewday dramas. :)
I take it that you still drain to fermenter by gravity using your block & tackle setup?
Is the (Empty) conical easy to take out & clean as it looks a neat fit in that fridge?
Happy Brewing.

TP :beer:

Gooday Pete
Quite correct Block and tackle +gravity to fill. I will use my peristaltic pump to fill kegs and get the bugger out when empty to clean.
Cheers Altstart :D :D

Super fermentor there.

Brew p0rn! B)

Did a similar sized batch myself yest, all electric - only tripped the fuse once when using a 3rd immersion element on top of the two kettle elements.

Look after the back moving that big unit!

Back