First brew - I stirred in the yeast and I don't see bubbles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try one again after 14 days.

What was the temperature like during fermentation? Sometimes yeast can throw a soapy taste when fermenting hot

My first batch was rough after 2 weeks in the bottle
But much better after another 2 weeks
And better again about 2 months in - nothing to be proud of but much much better than at first

Give it some time, it may improve a lot and hopefully youll be pleasantly surprised

Its all a learning experience - your next batch will be miles better because of it

slagfart said:
Not that long - like 5 days. But I can actually taste the cleaner smell. Turns me off the batch.

Better luck next time, hopefully.
I don't want to be the negative one but a mate of mine used to always use the coopers sanitiser for every brew, he also no rinsed, putting a glass of mine vs a glass of his beer up to the nose it was easy to tell his because of the sanitiser. To be honest when we're tasting beers and trying to pick apart stone fruit from grapefruit tainting a beer with any amount of odorous sanitiser imo is doing yourself an injustice, I'd go with starsan from now on :)

BrosysBrews said:
Hmmm interesting, what sanitation process did you use?
Well the bottles were fresh, but I sanitised for the hell of it. Reaaaally regretting that now.

slagfart said:
Well the bottles were fresh, but I sanitised for the hell of it. Reaaaally regretting that now.
I use no-rinse sanitiser liquid (it is 3% hydorgen peroxide) and never had a problem, I buy it from LHBS and yes it is more expensive then what others on here use however it is piss easy to use and never had any problems with residual taste. Breaks down to H and O2 which is basically found in water anyway and harmless, ever wanted to see what happens with you rapidlly decompose the two rather then slowly? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlb8X_ffO8 from about 2:00

Latest posts

Back