First Brew: Coopers Amber Ale K+K

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart99

Reaction score
Originally posted this in the Welcome forum but not getting any response (I know when I'm not wanted, sob)

Hi, I'm a first-time home brewer. I bought some gear on Gumtree and started my first batch with a Coopers Amber Ale kit, 500gm of LDME and 500gm of Brew Enhancer. The yeast has subsided now, and the SG is at 1.01 if I'm reading the hydrometer correctly. I didn't know to test the OG but will do so in future having learned a bit more from books and this forum.

How long do most people leave the beer in the fermenter prior to bottling? I see a lot of conflicting info in different books -
- bottle as soon as SG stabilises vs condition in fermenter
- rack into a secondary fermenter vs don't rack
- etc, etc
I'd also like to dry hop this batch to add a bit of flavour, since it tastes bitter but not much hop flavour. Anyone recommend a particular hop strain for the Amber Ale?

Welcome, Stuart.

Generally speaking, two weeks in primary is a great ballpark goal to have. If temps are good, that's plenty for the yeast to consume the fermentable sugars and begin to clean up after themselves. Time is always beneficial with brewing.

Racking (off the yeast cake) to secondary, is generally viewed as not necessary, although I personally always do when adding fruit or other major adjuncts, or if I am planning on leaving in the secondary fermenter for a long time.

In regards to being sure of fermentation being finished, the only way is to have a consistent SG reading over two - three days. The bubbleometer is only an indication of activity.

You will need the fourth number on your hydrometer. There is a big difference between 1.010 and 1.019. You won't know where it finishes (as different beers have different amounts of non-fermentable sugars), but you will know when it is finished. That's how you avoid bottlebombs.

As for aroma hops, the world is your oyster! Perhaps citra for a new-world citrus aroma without fruitiness or a more traditional willamette for a more earthy, floral spice. Amber Ale is not a favourite of mine, so maybe someone else can chime in with a better recommendation. I love both of those hops, though.

Welcome down the rabbit-hole!
:)

(snip)
In regards to being sure of fermentation being finished, the only way is to have a consistent SG reading over two - three days. The bubbleometer is only an indication of activity.

You will need the fourth number on your hydrometer. There is a big difference between 1.010 and 1.019. You won't know where it finishes (as different beers have different amounts of non-fermentable sugars), but you will know when it is finished. That's how you avoid bottlebombs.

:)

Thanks for the welcome and your advice Jefe.

The SG reading has been at 1.010 for the last week. At first I thought the hydrometer reading was 1.100 and I had a stuck fermentation and was at risk of bottle bombs. Then I realised that the 100 marking actually meant .0100 so I guess fermentation is over. Will bottle in the next few days.

Latest posts

Back