First BIAB attempt this weekend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, just wanted to add something to this thread as I've just completed my second biab. Just want to ask if anyone gets much trub in there cube after no chilling. I just cubed a smash I made with marris otter pale malt and citra hops. It has about maybe 3 liters of trub. Was still quite abit in the keggle as well.
Cheers

It's been a full 7 days now and the hydrometer reads 1.014 now. That tells me a 4.99% Abv.
Is it now time to cold crash for a couple of days? After that it's going straight into the keg for next weekends shindig

Allow it to finish and condition first. Removing the beer from the yeast too early or rendering the yeast inactive too early is the most common cause of residual acetaldehyde that I'm aware of. Tastes variously like green apple skin, paint emulsion or pumpkin skin depending on amounts and your palate and perception/threshold.

Give it a few more days and look at force carbing for your shindig.

Milk-lizard84 said:
Hi guys, just wanted to add something to this thread as I've just completed my second biab. Just want to ask if anyone gets much trub in there cube after no chilling. I just cubed a smash I made with marris otter pale malt and citra hops. It has about maybe 3 liters of trub. Was still quite abit in the keggle as well.
Cheers
That's the cold break and misc trub, certainly nothing to worry about!! it all drops out in the fermenter and there has been much speculation :ph34r: that some trub is beneficial to the fermentation. It doesn't seem to have been doing any harm to my brews at all. :drinks:

Sweet thanks for the beerness. I was just curious as my first attempt at biab didn't have as much trub in the cube. Really looking forward to trying the fruits of my labour. Biab is actually fairly easy and more enjoyable that k&k. Thanks again

Thanks manticle, but as soon as i posted i had to head out and didn't catch your reply 30 mins later. So on my way out, i cranked the fridge down to 2 deg......I hope this will not ruin my beer :unsure:

I do have a cider ready to keg so im hoping that will make up for the bad flavours on the beer if there are any...

Cold crashed for 2 days now. Will keg tonight and force carb. By belly rumbles as I type :chug:

When the fermentation is complete I remove the bottom draw in the fridge in the kitchen and put my fermenter in there! The missus loves this! I'm not using my other fridges for 2 degrees!

Haha funny about that syl. After i took my shelves out of my fridge (shed fridge) I put the fermenter in to crash chill. This is a new fridge i picked up only 2 weeks ago so i was unsure of the output of chill. I checked it after 2 days, opened it up and the top 3 inches were frozen!

Anyhow, i've managed to defrost my beer... and transfer to the keg. Without sounding too premature, it is the best smelling, best tasting pre carbonated beer i've made. i cannot wait to pour that first one on Friday night! I bought a couple of Fat Yaks to compare so it will be interesting to see how my first BIAB turned out! :)

Pretty certain it'll be the best beer you've ever made... my first BIAB was, only up to my 3rd and they get better!

Well, it turned out pretty damn good. It was a little easy on the hoppiness, so i think if i were to do it again (this recipe) i'd use the previously recommended Nelson Sauvin hops. I was shocked at how clear the beer was after the crash chill. I have had KnK kits condition in my keg for two weeks that don't come out as clear as this brew. I can totally see why people say once you go there you never go back.

I also made a cider to accompany this beer, but at a final ABV of 6.3%, fortunately only half of the beer was consumed, so i have a little bit left to keep me happy this weekend.

Anyhow, I'm planning my next brew for Saturday week.

Reardo.

good on you mate. sounds like it was a cracking success. i know the feeling of moving to BIAB too, and it's 100% worth it!

now is the best time to start figuring out what grains and what hops add what flavours; and also the variance of the specialty grains you can use (and yeasts!). once you know that, it opens up by 1000000% and you can tweak and bend and make recipes til you're blue in the face.

a good way to do this is doing some single malt and single hop beers (SMASH); maybe with a touch of medium crystal, so you can really get an idea of it. try it again with another hop, or another yeast, or a different grain bill and you can then identify what tastes are from what ingredient etc.

welcome to BIAB mate.

What did that bloke say at the ISB meeting fletcher?..."the more you learn about brewing, you realise how much more you have to learn"

Stoked it went well mate AG is the best fun so much to learn and create, so many flavours to enjoy.

Byran said:
What did that bloke say at the ISB meeting fletcher?..."the more you learn about brewing, you realise how much more you have to learn"

Stoked it went well mate AG is the best fun so much to learn and create, so many flavours to enjoy.
haha, bloody oath mate. you start tweaking things and buying that "little" piece of gear that costs you $250+ and it's a downhill spiral from there.

Ha ha and then you go to the pub and you dont want to drink anything cause you think its all shit now........

Ain't that the truth Byran. I really struggle to find a beer that I like down at my local now. :( Never used to be a problem...

Will be starting a second BIAB this weekend with fellow brewer longlostbelgian. We're doing the same recipe, but the hoppiness in the first attempt wasnt as high as i'd hoped. To increase this, should I be increasing the boil time orsimply add more hops at 30mins or there abouts?

How long are you planning to boil it?

It depends on what you're after from the hops. Basically if you want more bitterness then add more hops at the start of the boil, if you want more hoppy flavours and such, add more hops late in the boil.

Latest posts

Back