First Attempt At Making Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

govorko1974

Reaction score
Gidday all....have been brewing for a little over 12 months and have decided to try my first attemp at a lager, have only been brewing ales so far....was planning on putting down a coopers european lager this weekend, my question being is the kit yeast ok to use or should i wait until i can get a proper lager yeast and if so what is the best to use....have been using us-05 with all my ales. was planning on fermenting at 12-13 deg using my temp controller although have become confused with all the reading i've done on here about crash chilling and resting am thinking maybe i should just make a faux lager using us-05. anyway if anyone can tell me their technique to making a good lager i'd be grateful.
cheers
matt

I can't help you with making a good Lager, because I've only made 1 good one (IMO) myself, but if you plan to ferment at 10c or so then the one pack of kit yeast (I'm not even sure that it's a Lager yeast, but a quick search will tell you) wont be enough, so I'd suggest getting a couple of packs of a specialty dried Lager yeast. I like S-189, because it seems to be a little more tolerant & to my taste is quite clean

Hey Govorko youve got no probs with the coopers euro kit, it comes with lager yeast, and works quite well.
I brew my euro at 12-13c with no probs.
Ferment takes around 10 days. I leave it for another 4-5 days then warm to 16c for 2 days prior to botling.....approx.
The euro does need a longer condition in the bottle before drinking, and a little steeped grain and small hop additions wont hurt you either.

Back