First all grain beer help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another question guys,

I noticed the bubbling had really backed off as of yesterday I know it's not quite done but this morning I decided to take an sg reading. Turns out it isn't quite there. But then I had a taste and the malt and bitterness is definitely there but there's not a lot of hoppiness on the palate. I've been smelling it as it's bubbled out of the fermenter and that's been like perfume. Just wondering, will the hoppy flavour come through more after its done or should I consider dry hopping to add a bit more? And if I do add it, do I simply chuck the pellets into the fermenter or do I need a muslin bag or something in thete for them?

I don't have it written down but I believe for my 20 litre batch I did 20gm Amarillo at 60 minutes and 40 gm Amarillo at flame out. The zero minute addition I added and then immediately began to chill. Not sure if that's impacted on it somehow.

Thanks again.

Another question guys,

I noticed the bubbling had really backed off as of yesterday I know it's not quite done but this morning I decided to take an sg reading. Turns out it isn't quite there. But then I had a taste and the malt and bitterness is definitely there but there's not a lot of hoppiness on the palate. I've been smelling it as it's bubbled out of the fermenter and that's been like perfume. Just wondering, will the hoppy flavour come through more after its done or should I consider dry hopping to add a bit more? And if I do add it, do I simply chuck the pellets into the fermenter or do I need a muslin bag or something in thete for them?

I don't have it written down but I believe for my 20 litre batch I did 20gm Amarillo at 60 minutes and 40 gm Amarillo at flame out. The zero minute addition I added and then immediately began to chill. Not sure if that's impacted on it somehow.

Thanks again.
The late hops will often shine through when the yeast drops out and the beer has conditioned. If you want to, you can just throw your dry hop in to swim free if you have the ability to cold crash. If not, use a hop sock or similar to contain them .

Righto, so maybe I'm better off just leaving it as is for now? I think I might be able to fit the fermenter in my bar fridge so I might have a go at cold crashing.

Righto, so maybe I'm better off just leaving it as is for now? I think I might be able to fit the fermenter in my bar fridge so I might have a go at cold crashing.
You're going to make an enjoyable beer anyway and if you feel you need more hoppy goodness for the next one, you can go from there. Really depends on personal taste.

I've got a question on my second AG beer now but thought if any other newbs are checking this thread it'd help to have as many questions here as I can.

So I woke up this morning and found my hefeweizen bubbling out the top of the airlock.

I had it to 20 litres in a 30 litre fermenter so headspace seems ok, I pitched the yeast (danstar Munich classic) at the recommended rate and it was only about 17 deg C which from what I read is on the lower side of ideal.

Not sure what's causing this, about to head off to work and it still hasn't settled down. Could it be contamination from another yeast or something that's got in there? Really hoping not because I went crazy with that no rinse sanitizer!

Any ideas

Typical of wheat yeasts. Wait till you try wyeast 3068.
Clean it up, spray some sanitiser, relax.

Normal behaviour for a wheatie. Common recommendation is for headspace equal to batch volume, so 20 litres in a 30 litre fermenter will blow out. I use a large blowoff tube, into a 2 litre bottle which sits in a bucket to catch the overflow again. It's either that, or a big cleanup job.

Latest posts

Back