First all extract brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigD

Reaction score
Just playing around with IanH's spread sheet and looking to do my first all extract with what ingredients I have in my cupboard. looking for a simple light quaffer in a wheat beer style. This will also be my first time culturing some coopers yeast and I have some US05 for back up should it go wrong

this is what ive put together so far any suggestions would be much appreciated

DME Light Dry Malt 1.2 kg
Wheat Dry Malt 1 kg
ADJUNCTS Dextrose 0.3 kg
Make the Hop Boil Volume up to 5 Litres SG to 1.040 add either 533 g DME or 649 g LME
HOPS add
Pride of Ringwood 10 g 60 Mins
Cascade 10 g 30 Mins
Cascade 10 g 15 Mins Add to Fermenter and make up to 23 Litres
use coopers commercial yeast culture
Predicted OG 1.041
IBU 15.7
FG 1.009
EBC 6.6
AVB 4.3%
BULK PRIME 71 Dextrose 2.4 Vols CO2 KEG

Looks alright to me, especially if its just left over ingredients you should have a drinkable beer.

Do a dry hop with Galaxy and you've almost got yourself a Pacific Ale clone.

maaark said:
Do a dry hop with Galaxy and you've almost got yourself a Pacific Ale clone.
I don't have any Galaxy however I've got a about 20 grams of Citra , 30 grams of Amarillo and 70grams of Centennial are any of these a good replacement for Galaxy? thinking I might dry hop with the last of my Citra as its the oldest in my fridge

I knocked of 6 coopers mild ales last night and got the starter going and its taken off already I'm a little excited hopefully brew Monday or Tuesday once the starters done.

Citra would be perfect!
Good luck, let us know the end results.

I plan on doing my first extract next month with a heap of left over hops too ;)

TheBigD said:
Just playing around with IanH's spread sheet and looking to do my first all extract with what ingredients I have in my cupboard. looking for a simple light quaffer in a wheat beer style. This will also be my first time culturing some coopers yeast and I have some US05 for back up should it go wrong

this is what ive put together so far any suggestions would be much appreciated

DME Light Dry Malt 1.2 kg
Wheat Dry Malt 1 kg
ADJUNCTS Dextrose 0.3 kg
Make the Hop Boil Volume up to 5 Litres SG to 1.040 add either 533 g DME or 649 g LME
HOPS add
Pride of Ringwood 10 g 60 Mins
Cascade 10 g 30 Mins
Cascade 10 g 15 Mins Add to Fermenter and make up to 23 Litres
use coopers commercial yeast culture
Predicted OG 1.041
IBU 15.7
FG 1.009
EBC 6.6
AVB 4.3%
BULK PRIME 71 Dextrose 2.4 Vols CO2 KEG
IBU is a bit light on, is that what you seek?

IBU is smack bang in the middle of the style going from the spread sheet

Fair enough. I put it into the BrewMate calculator, it came out with a higher IBU and a lower AVB. However I don't know your batch size or the AA of your hops so that was just based on the default 23 litres.

Is the 300g dextrose for the bulk prime?

No the dex is to bump up the AVB and thin it out a tad, batch size is 23l

Also I got my starter going with 6 mild ale stubbies in 400ml with 40grams of DME and bumped it up to 600ml on day two, I'm hoping this will be enough to pitch or will I need to bump it up again? strange that the coopers yeast doesn't produce a krausan is this normal?

my understanding is 23 litres of water will need roughly 2.3kg of fermentable sugars for specific gravity of 1040 Ive got 2.2KG of LDME and .3kg of dex which seems right to give me an OG of 1041 and IANH's estimate FG of 1009 this by all means should end up above 4% avb am I wrong?

I turned off the hop concentration factor and it gave 19 IBUs I don't know what that's for but I'm guessing this is the difference.

edit,

I just entered it into brewers friend and its giving me 3.6% avb I wonder whats going on with the spread sheet?

Luke1992 said:
2.3kg of grain ain't gonna get u a decent gravity
No grain at all actually

Back on track!

Sorry gents I'm only new to this but how can There be such a huge difference I thought Ian's spreadsheet was well regarded

Fear not we all start somewhere.

Got a link to Ian's spread sheet?

I just plugged this into IanH Spreadsheet and Beersmith for a 23L batch. Both came out as ABV 4.1%

Well I ended up putting this one down and what a total cluster #%&@ I was in a rush, had a boil over, and over filled my FV by a litre.

I ended up pitching the packet of US05 as I didn't want to risk my first extract with the coopers yeast.

Latest posts

Back