First Ag....what To Do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pint of lager said:
Settle Brizbrew, that is a pale ale, not an India pale ale.

Pale ale, og 1.040-1.050
IBU, 22-28

IPA's are much hoppier and higher og. That means more grain, bigger sparge etc.

A pale ale is a really nice brew. Much easier to sort out your setup, strike temps, sparging on an easy brew, not a hard one. Once you get a few brews through your system, then launch into the brews of your dreams. Plenty of time.
[post="70228"][/post]​
Ah...Right :unsure:
I feel like a racehorse ready to run a steeple chase but have not yet done any pole work.

Mmmm...Maybe you are right, learn to walk before I can run etc I could think of a few more metaphors but just want to get brewing!!!

Ok any good Pale Ale recipes out there :ph34r: :lol:

Basic Pale Ale

og 1.045
IBU 25

95% pale ale malt
5% crystal malt
bitter with fuggles
flavour with fuggles
aroma with fuggles

Another pale ale

og 1.045
IBU 25

70% pale ale
20% Munich malt
10% wheat malt
bitter with fuggles
flavour with fuggles
aroma with fuggles

mash at 66 degrees
with 2.5 litres per kg

sparge at 72 degrees

yeast, your favourite dried yeast or liquid yeast
a coopers yeast goes well with either

That should be, a coopers starter made from the slurry from bottles of Coopers ale not a yeast from a Coopers kit.

pint of lager said:
Basic Pale Ale

og 1.045
IBU 25

95% pale ale malt
5% crystal malt
bitter with fuggles
flavour with fuggles
aroma with fuggles

I am liking the sound of this one, looks pretty straight forward for a first go and should test my system and process.

When you say 95% pale ale malt I am guessing that would be around 4.75Kg with the 5% crystal making up the 250gms?
Am I way off the mark here or would that be Ok with 12.5 litres of water for the mash?
How much could I sparge out of this, could I get 23 litres in to the fermenter? How much should I allow for boil off?

How much hops should be used?

Question's questions..... :unsure:

You have learned alot Brizbrew. 5kg of grain is a good starting point for a beginner ag recipe.

4.75 kg pale ale
0.25 kg crystal

mash with 2.5 litres water per kg =12.5 litres

Fly sparge till you reach 1.010 sg, then top up boiler to 28 litres
or read some notes on batch sparging.

for the hops, we need to know the AA rating to give you the amounts to use. Or use one of the online calculators.

Boil off evaporation rates vary hugely, anywhere from 5-20% per hour, you really want about 10% per hour. This theoretically means you want 28 litres in the boiler, loose 5 litres over 1.5 hours boiling, then loose 1 litre to trub and hops, you end up with 23 litres into the fermenter.

pint of lager said:
Boil off evaporation rates vary hugely, anywhere from 5-20% per hour, you really want about 10% per hour.
[post="70265"][/post]​
What sort of burner are you using? If its a nasa you will probably need to set the evaporation rate over 10%. I started a 10 went to 16 and am trying 18 or 20% tomorrow. You can easily lose a lot with one of those monsters.

johnno

Another way around this Briz, is to put out the call for another,more experienced masher from here,in your area to pop over for a brew day and get them to watch over you as you go thru the paces.

Maybe offer free access to the brews on hand on the day or split a batch with them??

Mobrien
I just read this post , I suppose you are into brewing at the moment !

If needed I may have some reciepes I brewed using that equipment , perhaps it could be a help for one of your first brews.

Good luck , I am sure it will work out well

Batz

No - not quite brewing yet - thats later today, we have to do a few things first. I'd love any recipes from you batz, as you say, its your gear!

So here is the current plan, against all good advice...

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Matts Wit like thing copy
Brewer: Matt O'Brien
Asst Brewer:
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (??.?) I'm stubborn and stupid - I'm doing this against all advice

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.50 L
Boil Size: 26.80 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 18.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg JWM Traditional Ale Malt (5.9 EBC) Grain 44.4 %
2.00 kg Wheat, Torrified (3.3 EBC) Grain 44.4 %
0.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 11.1 %
27.00 gm Goldings 5.9 [5.90%] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 4.50 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 11.74 L of water at 76.7 C 67.8 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 6.57 L of water at 92.1 C 75.6 C 10 min

Notes:
------
Based on Brad Smiths recipe in beersmith - modified a bit based on AHB feedback and G&G recipe

P.S. And yes, I know its the wrong yeast :D Why do part of it right when I can do it all wrong? :D :D

johnno said:
pint of lager said:
Boil off evaporation rates vary hugely, anywhere from 5-20% per hour, you really want about 10% per hour.
[post="70265"][/post]​
What sort of burner are you using? If its a nasa you will probably need to set the evaporation rate over 10%. I started a 10 went to 16 and am trying 18 or 20% tomorrow. You can easily lose a lot with one of those monsters.

johnno
[post="70267"][/post]​
Yes I have a Nasa burner and was wondering about the evaporation rate this baby would produce.
Do you turn it down once you have a rolling boil just to keep it rolling along and save some gas/evaporation or leave it on full bull?

mob,
Didn't read all the posts. Your recipe for witt looks ok to me. Hope it went well.
For your second brew I would suggest something really simple. Neutral yeast (Wy 1056 or similar) and all pale malt (add a small amount of crystal if you have to). No spices!
That way you can assess where any problems may be occuring as you should be able to check clarity, astringency, yeast "health".
With a witt none of those things will will show through.
Make sure you sanitise VERY well after this brew. 3068 flavours will not meld with any other style other than wheat/witt.
cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back