First Ag Shock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
Ok, excuse the rave.

Only bottled my altbier - my first all grain - on monday night, but with the heat it seemed to be carbing up ok, and i thought it might be worth a try, expecting it to be a bit green...

Just nicely-carbed, beautiful caramel amber colour (dare i say glinting in the sunlight), nice full creamy head... and taste? It's a bloody revelation! Fresh ingredients that translate into a smooth mouthfeel, gentle hoppiness up front leaving a smooth caramel aftertaste... I was chasing something like alaskan amber with some variation and i think i've left that in the dust. It's a hit with the family - even my daughter who doesn't drink beer loves it.

Now i enjoyed the kits, but this has an edge in that - firstly i brewed exactly what i wanted - picked something in the whole world i wanted and had a shot at it (amazingly hit the taste i was chasing); it tastes... kind of more immediate, i think more subtle. And of course the satisfaction i did the whole damn thing myself.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, threats and advice - this was really worth it. I wish i'd been able to put this one in a competition - just missed the dates - not because i expect to be a winner - (i am already from my perspective) - but nice to get some objective feedback on it. The more subtleties you observe, the better brewer it'll make you...

Way to go bcp I'm keen to make my first AG this year.

It's a shame you're so far away. I'd like to try this delicious beer you speak of :chug:

Edit: Spelling.

Nice one bcp, it's a great hobby obsession isn't it B)

stick a pic in the glass thread

cheers

Congratulations bcp! Enjoy every drop

Do I dare try the all grain path? I have wife who is supportive of homebrew... but also likes me to entertain the kids once in a while.

Well done on the "small step for mankind"

Ok, excuse the rave.

Only bottled my altbier - my first all grain - on monday night, but with the heat it seemed to be carbing up ok, and i thought it might be worth a try, expecting it to be a bit green...

Just nicely-carbed, beautiful caramel amber colour (dare i say glinting in the sunlight), nice full creamy head... and taste? It's a bloody revelation! Fresh ingredients that translate into a smooth mouthfeel, gentle hoppiness up front leaving a smooth caramel aftertaste... I was chasing something like alaskan amber with some variation and i think i've left that in the dust. It's a hit with the family - even my daughter who doesn't drink beer loves it.

Now i enjoyed the kits, but this has an edge in that - firstly i brewed exactly what i wanted - picked something in the whole world i wanted and had a shot at it (amazingly hit the taste i was chasing); it tastes... kind of more immediate, i think more subtle. And of course the satisfaction i did the whole damn thing myself.

Thanks to all for the encouragement, threats and advice - this was really worth it. I wish i'd been able to put this one in a competition - just missed the dates - not because i expect to be a winner - (i am already from my perspective) - but nice to get some objective feedback on it. The more subtleties you observe, the better brewer it'll make you...
Well done bcp... glad to hear.

From someone who is thinking about making the same move I have a few questions:

What method did you use (don't need to be to detailed, I know roughly the different types)
Where do you buy your ingredients from?
What guidelines/thought process do you use when "designing" a flavour for a beer you are about to make?

Do I dare try the all grain path? I have wife who is supportive of homebrew... but also likes me to entertain the kids once in a while.

I guess i depends on whether you want to drink beer, or Great beer. I bet you will find the time, one you decide

Paul

The thing about all grain is, although it takes some time, there are gaps.
Especially once you get to know your process there are portions of time when things can be done.
I often do work around the house while things are going on. That way you brew, and get things done.

A timer with alarm is a great piece of brewing equipment...

Well done BCP
I think I posted a shorter but similar rant after I tried my first AG

Big Ups :beer:

Well done BCP
I think I posted a shorter but similar rant after I tried my first AG

Big Ups :beer:

Same, and I remember the first glass too - your description just bought it all back! Well done!

Cheers = Mike

Well done bcp... glad to hear.

From someone who is thinking about making the same move I have a few questions:

What method did you use (don't need to be to detailed, I know roughly the different types)
Where do you buy your ingredients from?
What guidelines/thought process do you use when "designing" a flavour for a beer you are about to make?
1. BIAB in an urn, with no chill. I don't have a lot of space, and the elegant simplicity appeals.
2. Grain & grape. Also some from Craftbrewer.
3. Searched for specific recipe 'clones' of the beer, then forums where people had attempted this beer and what they liked or didn't work for them... I also found the specs on the brewery website, decided i wanted a little more hoppiness, and researched the beer style 'north german altbier' to understand the reasoning for parts of the process (it's an ale that is partly lagered). Also in converting ingredients to Australian-available, tried to understand what each element brought to the overall beer. Then i used beersmith to play around with it. Hence a few tweaks.

Additional thoughts
4. Things i'm glad i bought: i. fridge (free), heatbelt and tempmate - set and forget. ii. Software (beer smith) - allowed me to play with ingredients, volumes, processes and really get a feel for what they do. iii. Iodophor, 40cent syringe (precision!) & 1 litre spray bottle - no rinse, too easy; iv. Cheap electronic thermometer from Dick Smith; v. Bottle tree & washer (pet bottles are too wide so slipped a plastic tap connector to fix that). I prefer glass bottles, but having a few pet bottles in each batch makes it easy to know when they're carbonated.
A timer with alarm is a great piece of brewing equipment...
Good tip - my next purchase.
5. Don't panic if something seems wrong, do some research, don't post stupid questions.
Closely followed by
6. Immediate panic, inadequate research and stupid questions on the forum. Very helpful answers, though.

I went straight from 3 kits to all grain, perhaps that's why the difference was quite pronounced. I think playing with liquid yeasts, steeping specialty grains or adding hops would have helped and given insights into each of these as elements.

Nice one bcp!

I sampled my first AG a few nights ago and was pleasantly surprised to say the least.
Can't wait for the next batch.

Keep on brewing!

I kegged my second AG yesterday and had a glass an hour later, and it was already great! It was even quite clear for an amber ale. Hardly any sediment, just a tiny bit of chill haze. I had crash chilled for 5 days and had accidently got it VERY close to freezing. It basically went from 18 degrees to 1 degrees over 3 days, then at 1 degrees for a day or two, then allowed to warm up to about 4 degrees before kegging. The results were amazing. The funny thing is I only had 19.5L including trub so I got everything and only left a few ml of beer on top of the year and was expecting the beer to be very cloudy and yeasty.

AG is great and very addictive.

Nice work BCP, make sure you put a few aside for sampling in many months time, after say 5 more AG's are bottled.

AG is great, I can usually finish a brew in under 3.5hrs when the HLT is on the timer, and I no chill.

good job, hoping i have the same revelation in a couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back