First AG in my New Guten

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guy's completely new to this AG thing but with the price of the Guten thought I gotta have a piece of this. I am going to do a fairly simple looking Pale Ale first up loosely based on the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Im doing the first one with American Pale Ale Malt then going to try one with just JW Pale Ale Malt to see the difference. Through my inexperience Im sure there will be a difference ha ha
Anyway heres the Recipe it was done in BeerSmith which Im a complete novice with also !

OG 1.049
FG 1.013
AVB 4.7%
39.2 IBU
20.1 EBC

American Pale Malt (Gladfields) 4.7kg
Crystal Light Malt 0.45kg Not sure the level but used 80L in BeerSmith I it from bought from KK

14g Magnum @ 60min
14g Perle @ 60mins
7 g Cascade @ 30 mins
7g Cascade @ 10 mins
7g Cascade @ 0 mins
20g Cascade Dry Hop for 3 days (might use 15g Citra here not sure)

Mash @ 67 for 60 mins
Boil for 60 mins
will be cold chilled

I don't see anything wrong with that.
Personally I rend to use the or similar bittering hop to my late addition hops.
The Perle looks a bit odd to me personally.

And regarding the dry hop, I would add both and citra.

I also tend to keep my bitterness down BUT considering your doing a small dry hop i doubt it matters.
I find a lot of perceived bitterness in dry hoping!

Sounds good!

I use JW malt now, there is a slight difference but still makes a good brew.
I like to add a small amount of Munich as well as Crystal - but that's just me.

As for the hops I'd go Cascade all the way - or at least swap out the Perle.
Or the other thing I often do is Cascade for all but the last additions (zero and dry hop) then use Amarillo.
Hmm, unlike nvs-brews I'm thinking the late hops are a tad low - but I like a nice hoppy APA.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

My Guten is still sitting in it's box - got too much stuff on to use it for the next few days :)

Main reason for the perle as they have been mentioned for this style of beer quite a bit when used with the Magnum hops, other recipes did show 28g of cascade instead of Magnum and Perle.

I am with altone on the late hops but that is also my preference.

Did a bit of a clone of DeSchutes Mirror pond a while back was all cascade hops including bittering and rather a cracker of a beer.

Thanks for the suggestions guy's really appreciate them, I went into BeerSmith and took the Perle out as suggested and replaced it with 14g Cascade @ 60 mins.
My local shop doesn't do grain he will order bulk but not batch sizes, I understand as he's only a small shop but he's been excellent to deal with, so I will stick with the grain I have bought but BeerSmith gives me all green except for Colour thats just below American Pale Ale. the only changes in figures was a lowering of IBU's from 39.2 to 35.1 ABV from 4.7% to 5.0%
Cheers I will get her going tomorrow or Saturday hopefully

Hi guy's completely new to this AG thing but with the price of the Guten thought I gotta have a piece of this. I am going to do a fairly simple looking Pale Ale first up loosely based on the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Im doing the first one with American Pale Ale Malt then going to try one with just JW Pale Ale Malt to see the difference. Through my inexperience Im sure there will be a difference ha ha
Anyway heres the Recipe it was done in BeerSmith which Im a complete novice with also !

OG 1.049
FG 1.013
AVB 4.7%
39.2 IBU
20.1 EBC

American Pale Malt (Gladfields) 4.7kg
Crystal Light Malt 0.45kg Not sure the level but used 80L in BeerSmith I it from bought from KK

14g Magnum @ 60min
14g Perle @ 60mins
7 g Cascade @ 30 mins
7g Cascade @ 10 mins
7g Cascade @ 0 mins
20g Cascade Dry Hop for 3 days (might use 15g Citra here not sure)

Mash @ 67 for 60 mins
Boil for 60 mins
will be cold chilled
Hi for what it is worth the very 1st brew I every made was my take on a Sierra Nevada Pale on my Robo V2.
As follows.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale  2.1.JPG

Have fun with it.
Thought I'd post it after some of the conjecture over the addition of Perle, for me it was in some of the clone brews that I found.

Unless I am doing a specific clone I normally modifiy my recipes every hour almost up until I brew and then probably change anyway at the last moment so don't worry too much just have fun. Take notes however if you make a really good brew you will want to know how to brew it again.

When I first looked at AG I thought it would be good to clone, but on more reading I will probably maybe use a clone recipe as a base and as I get more used to what goes with that I will do the same by makes mods.

Hi for what it is worth the very 1st brew I every made was my take on a Sierra Nevada Pale on my Robo V2.
As follows.
View attachment 113561

Have fun with it.
Thought I'd post it after some of the conjecture over the addition of Perle, for me it was in some of the clone brews that I found.
Cheers, How did it taste with the Perle in it.

Cheers, How did it taste with the Perle in it.

The brew turned out well, it was received well by mates on tasting. I under carbonated so that was the main critique I got back. I used whole dried cones from my own harvest and they were quite aromatic at harvest as for what they bought to the finished product I'm not quite sure, I used them at the 45 addition of a 75 minute boil so I guess they would mainly only impart bitterness at that point. There were no off flavors like grassiness or vegetative taste.

I've only made nine brews to date and this one I've placed in the will brew again folder.

I would be interested in hear what others think of Perle and how to use it best as the floral aromas were quite pronounced at time if harvest.

I no we are kind if getting off topic but does anyone have a batch priming calculator they swear by as there are many online and most vary from one and other with the same data input.

Cheers

Back