First Ag Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshlangmaid

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been silently reading the forums lately. Been very busy. I found this guiness style recipe on here last week. Being my first AG, i've studied but cannot answer my questions. I've edited the excel document to include my answers. If anyone can download and answer it would be great. Cheers.

View attachment Black_Harp___recipe_help.xls

Hey everyone. I've been silently reading the forums lately. Been very busy. I found this guiness style recipe on here last week. Being my first AG, i've studied but cannot answer my questions. I've edited the excel document to include my answers. If anyone can download and answer it would be great. Cheers.

Hi Josh,

If you check out http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=21 it has the malts you are after listed on that page with info on them also.

You normally boil the wort for a while (I do it 30mins) to achieve the break then add the bittering hops which are then boiled for an hour or so.

I'll let someone else answer some of the other stuff as I dont use a mash tun myself.
What hops are you using? (or did I miss the name somewhere...)

josh,
for the malt types, just go to craftbrewer (or other sponsors for that matter) and read the descriptions of all the malt varieties. edit: beaten to the punch :p

Doughing in means adding the grains to the water.
Hops are added after the wort comes to a rolling boil.

The recipe itself looks a bit light on for a guinness style, I would have thought that it would have a bigger grain bill. It also has multiple temperature steps, which may not be the best idea for your first AG, maybe go with something thats a single infusion untill you get your method sorted.

Thanks to both of you. My only question now is adding the grains to the water makes the wort? And i don't need a kilo kit?

Thanks to both of you. My only question now is adding the grains to the water makes the wort? And i don't need a kilo kit?

The liquid you get after sparging / removing the grains is the wort which you boil up.
And with all grain, no you dont need a kit with it, as you are extracting all the sugars from the grains itself, but butters did mention he thought it was a little on the light side, so it may need a revisit. Did you make this recipe up all yourself or is it based on someone else's?

Check out the recipe database at the top for more ideas.

Hi Josh and welcome to AG brewing..
As a novice AG brewer myself, having done about 10 AGs I found out real quick that a complicated grain/hop bill is not the way to go for your first AG.
You need a few recipes under your belt so that you know how your brew rig works..eg. water volume, temps..etc.
For my first I just did a simple APA.. nice and easy to do. I have only now just done my first multiple step mash and 90min boil.. Learn to crawl before you can walk.
Cheers

Hi josh
Welcome to AG. No need for a complex grain or hop bill. After 40 or so all grain beers i did a pale ale 100% ale malt and straight amarillo hops, 1056 yeast mash at 66 degrees. Beautifil it was.
Couldnt be any easier, more ingredients and mash temperature rests doesn't always produce a better beer.

Thanks guys, that is very helpful. I'm eger to do the guiness clone. But i'll fish out a simple recipe or use Gregg's. - How long and how much water to cook it up with first.

wambesi - I found the recipe upon searching for a guiness clone on this forum. Thanks to all i have a much better understanding. Sometimes its really hard to find the really basic stuff!

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back