First Ag Brew - Fermentation Temp Too High?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For future brews, consider getting some Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast, which can be used for stouts, Irish Red of course, but also makes a reasonable range of UK bitters. I haven't tried it with an APA yet but may well work.
This yeast will more than happily chug along at 25 degrees (as they do with Guinness and more than likely a "cousin" yeast. Of course it doesn't HAVE to be fermented at those temperatures but I've never found it to chuck fusel oils or excessive amounts of ester. My last batch of stout actually got up to 27 degrees at one stage but I dragged it down to under 25 and it's turned out fine (it's been judged in the Brisbane comp and interested to find out what feedback).,
I heard that Guiness uses a lager yeast? Not sure though. Maybe it was Snow that mentioned it.

Cheers

Sorry for the off topic.

I heard that Guiness uses a lager yeast? Not sure though. Maybe it was Snow that mentioned it.

Cheers

Sorry for the off topic.

:icon_offtopic: Guinness BUL in Australia uses a lager yeast (according to the Guinness book by Bill Yenne, avail. from BABBs librarian, see Howard) - it was a condition specified by Tooheys when they originally tendered to make the stuff in the 70's and when they lost the contract and it went to Carlton they continued with a lager yeast. Screwtop went on the CUB tour and they told him lager yeast.
edit: of course the yeast I was referring to was as used in Dublin, they ferment at 25 for 60 hours then mature :mellow: for 2 days and package.

Give it a chance to clean up after ferment at ferment temps or a couple of degrees higher and it will probably be great. As for staling - if you're not holding onto them for ages, it may not matter. Definitely don't aerate a finished product though - no matter what yeast. See how you go.

I don't pretend to tell you one way or the other what is definitely going to happen in your beer.

ah cheers for the advice! it's my first time using a liquid yeast, we'll see how we go, i may have underpitched... 1 week in we're only down to 1.0026, and tasted quite "buttery", see what happens over the next few days, might pitch some more yeast.

My experience of UK yeasts is that they can go nuts for the first part of ferment then slow right down. Almost all the ones I've used (and I love UK yeasts so I use a few) need encouragement at the end. Try warming and racking before adding new yeast.

Why do you think you underpitched? Was it a WY packet or something else and how high was the gravity? How much yeast did you use?

English yeasts can throw diacetyl and a small amount can be perfect in some beers but warming it up a touch as it approaches the end will help reduce the amount and help finish the beer off (double whammy).

Why do you think you underpitched? Was it a WY packet or something else and how high was the gravity? How much yeast did you use?

English yeasts can throw diacetyl and a small amount can be perfect in some beers but warming it up a touch as it approaches the end will help reduce the amount and help finish the beer off (double whammy).
yumm ! i bought a wyeast, stepped it up to 1.5 litres and split it into 4 stubbies, then stepped up one stubby worth to 1.5 litres again, but i think i may have pitched before it was "at its peak" i.e., maybe not finished multiplying...

that said, i'm probably stressing unnecessarily, 1.0026 was a few days ago, it's been 10 days in the primary now, it's down to 1.0018 now, another few days at 21 degrees, i suppose it will finish up ! i'm too used to damn US-05 brews that are done in 2 days!

The BeerSmith recipe says to bottle ferment my American Pale Ale for 10 days at 4 degrees - I thought that any residual yeast and the priming sugar wouldn't "do their thing" at a low temp like that?

Would priming the bottles and fermenting in 14-16 degrees be better? Worse? Not advised?

4 degrees with US05?

I'd condition between 15 and 20, then if you have the means, store at 4 degrees ONCE carbonated.

The BeerSmith recipe says to bottle ferment my American Pale Ale for 10 days at 4 degrees - I thought that any residual yeast and the priming sugar wouldn't "do their thing" at a low temp like that?

Would priming the bottles and fermenting in 14-16 degrees be better? Worse? Not advised?

I don't have beersmith on this computer and I can't recall the format of recipe sheets but that's certainly not how I'd be doing it. Are you sure it's not talking about cold conditioning or lagering? You'd normally do this before bottling but it's not necessary. The benefits and process are set out here

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-3.html

Back on topic... I would be letting it carb up for 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle at around 18 to 20 for US05 and then drink! :beerbang:

EDIT: Beaten. Manticle could be right, it could be referring to storing at 4 degrees after carbonation. A sort of cold condition in the bottle.

Back on topic... I would be letting it carb up for 2 to 3 weeks in the bottle at around 18 to 20 for US05 and then drink! :beerbang:

EDIT: Beaten. Manticle could be right, it could be referring to storing at 4 degrees after carbonation. A sort of cold condition in the bottle.
Thats what I thought would be the norm. The BeerSmith sheet is not clear but it's the step after primary fermentation at 19 degrees. It then says bottle and age for 14 days at 4 degrees. Then drink and enjoy!

I'll go for the 14 days at 18-20 then chill as needed for drinking.

A period of cold conditioning the bulk beer before priming will benefit the beer. It just needs time at ferment temps after the priming sugar is added to carbonate properly. Cold storage either side of that is good for beer maturation.

Latest posts

Back