First Ag Blonde Tastes Great Why Cant The Breweries Do It

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys,i have just made my first ag blonde, its been in the keg for nearly two weeks,
i have started drinking it and i am so surprised at the smooth flavor of this beer,

so why do the blondes that i have tried commercially taste like colored water,no real flavour or body,
surely the big brewers can make a blonde to match the one i have made,i dont get it, do they not taste the crap that they make,

fergi

Australian beers with the word 'blonde' in the title are not blondes.

You aren't referring to Belgian Blondes (ie the real deal) were you ?

Australian beers with the word 'blonde' in the title are not blondes.

You aren't referring to Belgian Blondes (ie the real deal) were you ?
Silo Ted is right.
You've made a Blonde Ale with real malt flavour and also 1gm/L of Saaz hops as a flavour addition :icon_drool2:
They make bland lagers with everything stripped out by enzymes and then call it a Blonde something or other.
Glad you're enjoying yours, think I'll brew one this weekend.
Cheers
Nige

whats your recipe, arent blondes associated with low carb beers?
wouldnt an all grain beer not be low carb? hence better tasting as fergi says.

??????????????? fergi

That was a reference to how blonde has several meanings, not everyone is on the same wave length so the conversation is all over the shop.

Surely you can understand that this is a comunication breakdown.

Aussie skank rooting juice is not blonde, although i don't mind the perks.

coopers sparkling ale ,i have drank plenty of times but it does not fit my perception of what a blonde tastes like,not the one i have made and drinking at the moment anyway,i am new to the blonde thing so not speaking with much experience here.

however from what i have tried a blonde has not got the "hit" that a coopers sparkling ale has,i guess there are plenty of different flavor profiles in any style of beer.
fergi

This confusion about the beer/word ''blonde'' is extremely common in general beer discussions.:

The word blonde is used in australian low carb ales as a marketing ploy. Because it envokes many thoughts/predictions on what the beer will be like.

Then there is a belgian blonde which is probably the best and most appropriate beer to think of when mentioning the style 'blonde'

And finally there are a myriad of other ales that are often classified as blondes; sometimes as a reference to colour, sometimes in a beer that is light and sessionable, or a beer that contains wheat.....something like a kolsch...

so yes it is a communication nightmare.

nashman

just in case anyone is interest, this is from the bjcp style guide, fairly certain you will not find a reference to "low carb" :eek:

6B. Blonde Ale
Aroma: Light to moderate sweet malty aroma. Low to moderate fruitiness is optional, but acceptable. May have a low to medium hop aroma, and can reflect almost any hop variety. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Light yellow to deep gold in color. Clear to brilliant. Low to medium white head with fair to good retention.

Flavor: Initial soft malty sweetness, but optionally some light character malt flavor (e.g., bread, toast, biscuit, wheat) can also be present. Caramel flavors typically absent. Low to medium esters optional, but are commonly found in many examples. Light to moderate hop flavor (any variety), but shouldn't be overly aggressive. Low to medium bitterness, but the balance is normally towards the malt. Finishes medium-dry to somewhat sweet. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium-full body. Medium to high carbonation. Smooth without harsh bitterness or astringency.

Overall Impression: Easy-drinking, approachable, malt-oriented American craft beer.

History: Currently produced by many (American) microbreweries and brewpubs. Regional variations exist (many West Coast brewpub examples are more assertive, like pale ales) but in most areas this beer is designed as the entry-level craft beer.

Comments: In addition to the more common American Blond Ale, this category can also include modern English Summer Ales, American Klsch-style beers, and less assertive American and English pale ales.

Ingredients: Generally all malt, but can include up to 25% wheat malt and some sugar adjuncts. Any hop variety can be used. Clean American, lightly fruity English, or Klsch yeast. May also be made with lager yeast, or cold-conditioned. Some versions may have honey, spices and/or fruit added, although if any of these ingredients are stronger than a background flavor they should be entered in specialty, spiced or fruit beer categories instead. Extract versions should only use the lightest malt extracts and avoid kettle caramelization.

Vital Statistics:
OG FG IBUs SRM ABV
1.038 - 1.054 1.008 - 1.013 15 - 28 3 - 6 3.8 - 5.5%

Commercial Examples: Redhook Blonde, Catamount Gold, Widmer Blonde Ale, Coast Range California Blonde Ale, Fuller's Summer Ale, Hollywood Blonde, Pete's Wicked Summer Brew, Deschutes Cascade Golden

Best blonde beer I've ever had:

photo-783835.jpg

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/261/1440

Why don't Australian breweries do good blonde beers? The answer is simple: Australians don't like the taste of beer. They are catering to the market.

Always thought Coopers Sparkling would be an Australian ale.

Blonde and Low Carb are used in Oz for marketing. They both mean "flavourless crap beer". My missus tried an NZ micro (renaissance, IIRC) blonde - fantastic, and funnily enough IBUs would have been well over 30. She's not normally a hoppy beer person, but just found the beer "balanced" (her words).

Goomba

Back