First Ag (biab) Down...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barto1308

Reaction score
So I took the step into AG-BIAB last night, and as with most things brewing I dont believe in half steps and went for a small batch of Wee Heavy Strong Scotch Ale, using the recipe below...

New Recipe
Strong Scotch Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.141
Total Hops (g): 29.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.096 (P): 22.9
Colour (SRM): 21.6 (EBC): 42.6
Bitterness (IBU): 25.4 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
2.994 kg Golden Promise Malt (72.29%)
0.499 kg Peated Malt (12.05%)
0.299 kg Caramalt (7.23%)
0.249 kg Carared (6.02%)
0.100 kg Chocolate (2.41%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
12.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
5.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 70C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 12C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Batch size was limited as I only have a Big W 19L stock pot. I ended up with more in the kettle than expected - I think I need to play around with the settings on Brewmate, and adjust down the amount of sparge water used, as I probably had about 2L too much in the end. The final OG ended up 1.074 in about 13L, which, if I had boiled down for another hour (hindsight is a great thing!) would have ended up around 1.096 and 10L as planned. Brewhouse efficiency ended up at ~85%, due mainly to the very fine crush achieved by putting the grain through the food processor. Not quite flour, but great for BIAB. Plus, it can handle 500g of grain at a time and processes it in less than 1min/batch. The colour of this brew also seems to be darker than planned - I think I was a little heavy-handed on the chocolate malt, due to the inherent inaccuracy of my analogue scales.
All in all, I'm happy with results so far - only time and tasting will tell! Attached is the label intended for this limited run...

Any tips and hints from the forum pros out there on where I can improve things?

Cheers and Beers,

Barto

Back