Finnings.. Fish Guts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is it just me or does finnings seem to strip flavour from your beers?? <_<

i felt it had, so i just secondary ferment and crash chill??

Cheers

I reckon waiting for the beer to clear naturally is fine for some beer styles but I love fruity APA beers. I find that they peak around 6-8 weeks so maybe a little help to clear them might actually help in the flavour departmen. If I had to wait months, the aroma I love would have been seriously muted by that point. YMMV

Interesting, I thought you were only meant to do such crash chilling after secondary fermentation. I thought during the secondary fermentation the beer needed to be at fermentation temperatures to ensure the yeast can 'clean' up the flavours
I use finnings 6 days before bottling and then after 3 days I add some Polyclar, There is NO sediment and the last bottle from the wort is crystal clear.

Here is the last bottle from the fermenter, being a stingy bugger i tipped the fermenter to get this one. so by rights it should look fithy. Lo behold!
IMG_0461.jpg

See? and the pic dosent do it justice. And that glass is straight from the wort, the "last drop" as it were.

You need to get your fermenters down to 0-2c to get resuclts like this.

After Ive taken the final gravity (say for a ale) I take it to my fridge and put it in there at 0-2c and wait a week, then another week for the "finning" process. clears the beer up wonderfully, and no shitty "yeast" taste. Plus the inlaws think its the real thing!

There are people who just like to let thier beers "rest" for a few months for this process, and thats fine too. But seeing I can do this, why the hell not ! I learn new tricks and things and it gets me just that much closer to Taking the step to the dark side with AG

If you know how to brew you dont need fish guts or sea weed. Its called time and a shit load of back up beers.
GB
gotta agree here. Have tried finings on quite a few of my extracts, and think an extra week or 2 in secondary
or extra time conditioning sorts it out.-havnt moved to ag yet so cant comment on true grain steep and boil.

To the orig poster

This is so well covered on AHB and basic brewing books

I encourage u to read up on this stuff and learn to search AHB and google stuff. U learn a lot and get answers
A lot faster and know more which will help ur brewing.

Latest posts

Back