Finnings.. Fish Guts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
I ahve a Scottish mate at work (he's around 55) who has been home brewing for years and he reakons most finnings are fish guts!!! Is this even remotely true!!??

very true to a point. isinglass is fish swim bladders, but most finings used are gelatine wich is pigs feet, or pvpp wich is plastic. but compared tpo whats in a snag or dim sim nothing to worry about :D

Isinglass finings come from fish (sturgeon I think). Isinglass is also used as the basis for a glue used in some types of restoration. gelatin finings come from cow's hooves. Basically both are proteins and work in a similar way. They drop to the bottom of the fermenter and generally don't make it into your beer. Gelatin is in a lot of things including jelly and some lollies, most properly made chocalate mousse adn thickened cream.

Yes - it is true. That's why I laugh out loud at vegans drinking their precious vegan home brew or wine etc that use gelatin and yes I know three.....sucks to be me to know three. Sucks to try and be social with them I tell ya outside their house!.... flame suit on - don't care - water off a ducks back etc....

Alot of K&K brewers and indeed extract brewers use gelatin and polyclar to fine beer.

Some wineries use 'anti-vegan' products in their offerings that are not commonly known to clear their product.

I LOVE sturgeaon fish!!!! They are awesome!!!! Thanks for the input guys.

I LOVE sturgeaon fish!!!! They are awesome!!!!

Theres a few of the Qld brewers who love sheep and goats. You're half way there...

man_carp_a.jpg

Most homebrew stores will Irish Moss in differing forms. I know that Brewcraft package it up just loose, as opposed to the tablet form of Whirfloc, and my LHBS stocks that.

Do know that Irish Moss is used as a kettle fining (to fine in the boil, as opposed to in the fermenter) whereas the other fining agents that have so far been mentioned in this thread are for post-ferment fining. You'll only want Irish Moss if you're doing a boil, otherwise look at things like gelatine (being the easiest, IMO) or isinglass (being the fish-gut stew that you mentioned in the OP) which can be added to drop more yeast out after your fermentation has finished.

I like to add my finning about 3 days before bottling.

If you know how to brew you dont need fish guts or sea weed. Its called time and a shit load of back up beers.
GB
I have lots of back up beers, about 14 cartons now and I leave the brews to ferment for 3 weeks, I just thought finnings would add that touch of clarity.

I use finnings 6 days before bottling and then after 3 days I add some Polyclar, There is NO sediment and the last bottle from the wort is crystal clear.

Here is the last bottle from the fermenter, being a stingy bugger i tipped the fermenter to get this one. so by rights it should look fithy. Lo behold!
IMG_0461.jpg

See? and the pic dosent do it justice. And that glass is straight from the wort, the "last drop" as it were.

You need to get your fermenters down to 0-2c to get resuclts like this.

After Ive taken the final gravity (say for a ale) I take it to my fridge and put it in there at 0-2c and wait a week, then another week for the "finning" process. clears the beer up wonderfully, and no shitty "yeast" taste. Plus the inlaws think its the real thing!

There are people who just like to let thier beers "rest" for a few months for this process, and thats fine too. But seeing I can do this, why the hell not ! I learn new tricks and things and it gets me just that much closer to Taking the step to the dark side with AG

Back