Finishing Hops - When To Remove ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleaninglady

Reaction score
Right now i'm brewing an Imp. Stout that uses 28g of Cascade pellets for aroma/finishing.

The Cascade pellets are to be added in the last minute.

I have done this in my other brews but my question here is : How long do they stay in there ?

Just for 1 min ?

Steep in there while cooling and remove just before putting wort into Primary ?

cL

Yep, that's it. Throw them in there a minute before the boil ends, leave them in there as you cool the wort, and strain them out when you transfer to the fermenter.

What would be the disadvantages of trasferring last minute hops to fermenter if they were added in a hop bag?

What would be the disadvantages of trasferring last minute hops to fermenter if they were added in a hop bag?

None I would've thought. Adding a whole heap of hop flowers with no hop bag has caused me problems in the past but pellets I'm happy to chuck in a fermenter nude.

Edit: I just wanted to mention I only made that mistake once.

I haven't tried it, but I assume it would leave a grassy taste? Dry hopping for too long can leave a grassy taste, so I assume that it would be the same.

Right now i'm brewing an Imp. Stout that uses 28g of Cascade pellets for aroma/finishing.

The Cascade pellets are to be added in the last minute.

I have done this in my other brews but my question here is : How long do they stay in there ?

Just for 1 min ?

Steep in there while cooling and remove just before putting wort into Primary ?

cL

My 1 minute or flameout hops stay in there, and also go into the cube. No grassy flavours ever.

I've done this many times with loose pellets doing both partials and AG.

Nowadays, even though I'm more restrained, at least some hop trub (who knows which is late and which is early?) ends up in the fermenting vessel. The only time I've had hop related grassy flavours was from dry hopping with saaz (once).

Back