Finings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimac23

Reaction score
Hi All,

I used finings for the first time last night in a Coopers Celebration Ale, how long should i leave it before bottling after adding them?

The type i used was brewcrafts beer clear (gelatine) and i noticed that when i dissolved them with boiling water they had a slightly pungent smell, is that normal?

I use finings, and I'll bottle 2 days to a week after adding them.
Conditioning needs longer than without. I prefer it to racking.

As for the smell, hopefully someone else will answer.... for a bloke with a big nose, I've got a lousy sense of smell.

That is the normal smell of gelatine. When you consider that gelatin is made up primarily of ground up cow hooves and the like you can understand why. :icon_vomit:

alimac23 said:
Hi All,

I used finings for the first time last night in a Coopers Celebration Ale, how long should i leave it before bottling after adding them?

The type i used was brewcrafts beer clear (gelatine) and i noticed that when i dissolved them with boiling water they had a slightly pungent smell, is that normal?
You should not dissolve them in boiling water as impedes it's ability to clear your beer (can't remember the science behind it) you should dissolve it in water that is about 70C. As IAN said, about 2 days in the minimum you want to wait for it to do it's job. Also, you can buy gelatine much more cheaply at the local supermarket.

Hippy said:
That is the normal smell of gelatine. When you consider that gelatin is made up primarily of ground up cow hooves and the like you can understand why. :icon_vomit:
Who once looks at some cows feet and thought, man I bet they would make an unreal jelly??

Batz said:
Who once looks at some cows feet and thought, man I bet they would make an unreal jelly??
Probably a very hungry cow herder

Anyone who's ever cooked veal shanks?

Making the translation from jus/gravy to strawberry kid's desserts and trifles is the only bit I don't get.

:icon_offtopic: Veal shanks?!?
How much of the shank is going into your pot?
Mine get lopped several inches above the hoof/ankle. There is noooo way i'd be putting a hoof into a pot. Have you seen the state of those things on the beastie??

[tho, yeah, i think you're on the right track - i think the poms or euro's made savoury dishes in the middle ages with hooves. So really, it's just getting a little medieval on your dessert :p ]

Thanks for the replies everyone, i left the gelatine for 3 days before bottling it today, that's good to know the smell is usual, it was mentioned that it takes longer to condition in the bottle when using finings, how long should I wait before cracking the first bottle?

That's where at least 1 plastic bottle comes in handy, give it a squeeze.
Same old answer as always, the longer the better.

Back