Finings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
Hi Brewers..

Joe here..

Is it possible or even desirable to use all these together polyclar, isinglass koperfloc etc

joe

i use a teaspoon of gelatine and 3 teaspoons of sugar dissolved in hot water in my secondary fermenter to assist with clearing when kegging beers , only on occasions do i bother when bottling , does the job fairly well , havent tried any of the other product but by all reports i believe they also work well for what they are

Hi Brewers..

Joe here..

Is it possible or even desirable to use all these together polyclar, isinglass koperfloc etc

joe

Joe,

Koppafloc is a kettle fining, it's added 10 mins from the end of the boil.
Isinglass is added to the final beer to aid rapid yeast settling & polyclar is used primarily for removing chill haze. Yeast will reduce the effectivness of polyclar, hence add polyclar last.

cheers Ross

Whats the deal with kegging beer, do you need to use finings? Does the yeast still settle out in the bottom of the keg as it would in bottles?

And then, does the keg draw beer from the top of the keg and work downwards avoiding sediment? Or does it mix it all up? Im not sure...

Whats the deal with kegging beer, do you need to use finings? Does the yeast still settle out in the bottom of the keg as it would in bottles?

And then, does the keg draw beer from the top of the keg and work downwards avoiding sediment? Or does it mix it all up? Im not sure...

Zachary the same reviled, but the beer is drawn from the bottom of the keg, the dip tube sits about 15mm off the bottom. After fining, chilling and refrigeration the first glass is a chucker, runs clear as after a few glasses. Only prob using gelatine is moving kegs, after a move the first couple of pours are cloudy needs to settle out over about 24hrs again.

Screwy

just something i got from somewhere a while back , it seems to assist with a small amount of secondary fermentation and definately gets the floaties to drop out quite a bit ... probably not totally necessary but it seems to work so ive just stuck with it

Back