Finings.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
I was lookng this up last year and was just browsing on my teabreak through google and I thought I pose a few queries.

Most people don't bother about finings but past the kettle. Usually crash chilling and adding polyclar, sorry if got the spelling wrong, is added to your second fermenter, a few day prior kegging or bottling.

I am not sure what agents polyclar but by the name it sounds like it coagulate something.
Protein haze and residual yeast most likely.

I use gelatine and have found these work better at very cool temperature. My ales and lager when I apply gelatine are generally when I use it.

I have never tried isinglass but I got instruction available if I did.

I assume isinglass is a brand name similar to Whirlflock.

If I had 100% carageenan gum would that be represantive to how much isinglass and how would I go about using it?

Better get back to work now.
cheers

There are two finings we are talking about here matti.

Kettle finings - used in the kettle, usually 10 mins before the end of the boil. Products include irish moss, whirlfloc (which is irish moss in tablet form) and koppafloc. Kettle finings work to increase protein coagulation or hot break formation.

Post fermentation finings - isinglass, gelatine and polyclar are some of these. These either bind yeast cells to make them settle better (isinglass, gelatine) or bind polyphenols to help prevent haze (polyclar). Isinglass is made from fish and is not the same as whirlfloc.

100% carageenan gum would be similar to koppafloc and should be used in the kettle.

Check the second page of this thread and the attachments from the weekend, explains everything:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=16059

You beat me to it goatherder :)

And Drifine is the form of isinglass you want, it is pre-hydrolyzed and only takes 20min to prepare. Let us know if you find a supplier.

sorry to hijack the thread but i have a question that's probably not worth opening a new thread for. did a brew yesterday, usually add irish moss 5 mins before the end of the boil, but as I read this thread just now, i realised i didn't put it in yesterday. how drastic effect will this have on my brew? I dont think it would be appropriate to put it in now as the yeast is pitched and it's bubbling away.

Enerjex its no big deal and you probably wont notice much difference.

i didn't think so, it should settle fine in the fermenter if i leave it in there a few extra days or rack it to a secondary for a few days

Mr Goat, Is there polyclar for post fement as well?
Might have a look into that as an alternative to gelatines.
Is it easy to add?

I think i'll stick to whirlflock tablets for kettle finings untill I run out again, maybee use some 100 carageenan lol

Enerjex.
I wouldn't worry too much. Just close you eyes and it 'll taste the same.
The only thing with trub it may get a soap taste.
I had no fining at at all in my easter brew and it doesn't taste like soap at all. maybe that because I hopped it to 46 IBU.

cherio

Ok Ross.
But polyclar Brewbrite in the article on the link I provided say it is a kettle fining by the use of it.
http://www.ispcorp.com/innews/beverage/art...s/04article.pdf

So the brand name is used in both cases but polyclar Brewbite is not mentioned as being used as a post ferment.
Any way good night

<_<

Looks like that one is a kettle agent :) - but straight polyclar is a post ferment fining agent.
Make sure you get polyclar VT if you haven't got a filter - it has bigger particles, so settles quicker & can be racked off the sediment.

Cheers Ross

I don't like the idea of putting tiny plastic particles into my brew. Does Polyclar really work?

I don't like the idea of putting tiny plastic particles into my brew. Does Polyclar really work?

Sure does, no taste and no other effect other than your turds come out plastic wrapped like sausages. :lol:

I use it in all my brews,does it work?Well I am not sure as I never really had any 'off tastes' before anyway.
Still I bought mine in bulk so I'll be using it for sometime yet.

Batz

Sure does, no taste and no other effect other than your turds come out plastic wrapped like sausages. :lol:

huhuh you just reminded me screwtop. go and "google" the term "space docking"...somthing should come up in wiki if your ^^^ that way inclined ;)

hmmmmmmmmmm.....yet another thing that makes me wonder about some elements of the human race......I mean really, who thinks this shit up?

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of putting a couple teaspoons of gelatine into a keg of recently brewed APA to clear it faster than CC'ing will. Just want to know if anyone has any experience with fining directly in the keg?
Will the gelatine trub that settles after a few days get sucked up through the dip tube and blown off in the first few pints, same as the yeast trub does after a few weeks CC'ing? Or will the gelatine eventually dissolve back into the beer, thereby tainting it slightly?

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have used gelatin several times in the ferementer ( unfortunately don't have a kegging system yet ).

From what I understand of its use as a fining agent it will end up in suspension down the bottom of the vessel with the resulting particles it has removed along the way.

(Attribute this information to a http://radio.craftbrewer.org podcast)

Cheers

Chris

I always add gelatin to secondary. By the time I keg it, it hasn't fallen completely clear but when it all settles in the keg and keg is finished, there's a sort of scummy slick stuck to the bottom of the keg.
So in my limited experience, it doesn't dissolve back into the beer.
YMMV

Campbell

I've added gelatine to the keg a number of times and it works great. Keg is crystal clear in 1 to 2 days. The first pint will pull a little sediment as per usual but its fine after that. Never noticed any off tastes.

For a full keg I would add about 1/2 - 1 tbsp gelatine dissolved in a cup of hot (not boiling) water to the top. Purge again and then gently rock side to side (not much) just to mix it at the top and you will be fine.

Back