Finings Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frasertag

Reaction score
I need some help
Well at 7days fermentation @ 1012 I added some finings
the packet i used was a brigalow packet, it had no instructions on the cardboard it was written on, there was a yeast like packet stabled to the cardboard sheet. I pulled the packet off took the lid off the fermenter and sprinkled it in and resealed... i then read on the back of the yeast packet that
DOH!!
it should be added to some very hot water
then poured into fermenter and stirred gently.
I left it as I had done as I didnt see a way to fix it...
day 9 today and I did a hydrometer reading... well the first sample was full of little jelly like peices and they all floated to the top of the tube... the 2nd and 3rd that i tapped off were better but still about 2-3 floatys they are small about the size of an ant. problem is this brew tastes awesome and i really dont wanna waste it...

I have a second fermenter which is at day 2...
I spose the question im asking is, will these clumps get bigger and float in the top of the fermenter? will they disolve eventually? should I wait till the second fermenter is finished and bottled and rack to it with some sort of a filter?

Thanks

I'd suggest having a look in the fermenter, if there are floaties skim it and bottle. If not, just bottle, hoping that most of the finings has formed a gelatinous mass on the bottom of the fermenter. I didn't think it floated, but I haven't done this particular mistake.
If you end up with a few floaties in the end product, declare it a feature not a fault :) As it is taste neutral shouldn't be a huge drama Cheerz Wab

I would maybe rack it (without filtering) and giving a gentle stir to try to dissolve the finings.

At least if you rack it you can give it plenty of time to dissolve.

Learning experiance. Read the packet (or read up on a particular method), before adding stuff to something you drink without knowing what it will do!

I don't think you've done any real damage. Maybe you won't get an efficient result with your beer remaining a bit cloudy. The "floaties" are merely disturbed clumps of proteins, yeast and gelatinous material which will settle back down after a short time.

I'd agree partly with the above posters. You can rack your beer, but stirring won't help to dissolve the clumps.

Another possibility, if the clumps remain buoyant, is that some CO2 became entrapped. Then you can skim them off, using a sanitised tea strainer, or stop filling the bottles before they reach the outlet.

The idea of boiling first is to fully dissolve the finings and allow even distribution through the beer. Also its a good hygiene practice.

RAHAHB

WJ

Thanks for the information

yes its a learning mistake... In future i might try this again but the correct way. Its been sitting for 4 days now with the finings mistake in it, is there going to be a problem leaving it in there until I can rack to the other one?

The idea of boiling first is to fully dissolve the finings and allow even distribution through the beer. Also its a good hygiene practice.

Just one thing I want to point out, you shouldnt boil all finings. gellatine if boiled will drastically reduce its effectiveness. it should be heated to 70C to allow things to fully dissolve, then added to the carboy.

Thanks for the information

yes its a learning mistake... In future i might try this again but the correct way. Its been sitting for 4 days now with the finings mistake in it, is there going to be a problem leaving it in there until I can rack to the other one?

Should not be an issue, if anything, the clumps might end up settling to the bottom of the fermenter/carboy.

Thanks guys..
I will leave it sit for another 5days or so bottle my other one, rack this one and leave for another week or so then bottle it, it still smells and tastes great so its not spoiled and i guess its a great learning experience...

Back