Final Gravity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza_devil

Reaction score
G'day Brewers,
Just curious on what sort of F.G. readings people are getting when using LDME and Dextrose without kits to brew?
What's your lowest reading achieved and how did you do it?
I've just done an Aussie Pale Ale using a recultured 2 litre Coopers Yeast Starter, 2kgs LDME and 1kg Dextrose added at high krausen and it's lookin all over after 3-4 days @ 1.010. My lowest has been an APA using a kit, LDME and BE2. @ 1.009. I would like to get my F.G.'s a little lower.
Cheers.

Possibilities to getting a lower FG are:

Use a healthier, bigger yeast starter - will munch through more points.

Use a tougher yeast, or one with a known higher attenuation ability.

Use a yeast nutrient, or add some grains which provide plenty of FAN's for the yeast to perk up.

Go all grain, and control a lower mash temp.

Use more dextrose / sugars and less malt extract.

I had lots of trouble trying to get extract brews down to lower FG's, and it comes down to how many unfermentables are in the malt extract. The trouble is that you can never really control how much maltodextrin is in the extract you buy, and depending on where and who you get it from, the values can differ widely.

It is just one of the restrictions to extract brewing.

If I were still doing extracts I would chose the higher attenuating yeast to fix it up. Some of the belgians can munch pretty low FG's, and if kept in the lower temp can be fairly neutral. Trial and error I suppose.

Good luck,

Marlow

Possibilities to getting a lower FG are:

Use a healthier, bigger yeast starter - will munch through more points.

Use a tougher yeast, or one with a known higher attenuation ability.

Use a yeast nutrient, or add some grains which provide plenty of FAN's for the yeast to perk up.

Go all grain, and control a lower mash temp.

Use more dextrose / sugars and less malt extract.

I had lots of trouble trying to get extract brews down to lower FG's, and it comes down to how many unfermentables are in the malt extract. The trouble is that you can never really control how much maltodextrin is in the extract you buy, and depending on where and who you get it from, the values can differ widely.

It is just one of the restrictions to extract brewing.

If I were still doing extracts I would chose the higher attenuating yeast to fix it up. Some of the belgians can munch pretty low FG's, and if kept in the lower temp can be fairly neutral. Trial and error I suppose.

Good luck,

Marlow

So what's your lowest?

So I probably can't expect to get any lower F.G's with a 2:1 ratio of LDME:Dextrose without using, for example a Trappist Yeast or a higher ratio of dextrose, unless I go AG.

Has anyone got a lower F.G. than 1.009 with an extract?

To be honest I'm not sure why you'd want much lower than that. 1.010 is a fairly reasonable FG for most lighter beer styles. 1.008 is fine if you're doing a light aussie ale but I wouldn't want to go lower. Most of my beers end up between 1.008 and 1.012

Try Nottingham liquid yeast, or US-05 dry yeast and see how you go. Both of those chew away through brews pretty well.

- boingk

Can confirm nottingham dry yeast chews through quicker than US05 too.

Yeah you are probably right there Boink, around 1.009 is a pretty nice beer. I achieved that with dried US-05 and I've used Nottingham a few times but at low temps. Perhaps if I tried Notto @ 19-20 I would have achieved lower F.G.'s.
It would be nice to get an Australian Pale Ale down to the AABC Guidelines F.G. of 1.004 - 1.006 though, I don't mind a nice dry ale for something different.
I don't think there are any fermentables left in my worts @ 1.009 anyway so I guess it wont matter what yeast I use if there is nothing left there for it to eat.
I'm thinking of trying a different brand of LDME before I go AG but the good stuff is expensive and costs an arm and a leg to get over Bass Strait. Money I could be putting toward an AG setup.

My last two brews - a Coopers Pale Ale, and a Morgans Old - where both with a Lager yeast, ambient temperature between 12-16 degrees celcius (a little high for Lager - I have switched to Ale yeast now the warm weather is here) :: both got to 1010

If you pop in an enzyme. You will most likely get down to 1006.

I use it sometimes. It can add a crisp taste to lagers but removes the body..

Cheers

The problem with dry enzyme is that it can drop too low, leaving no body at all, some people report that it can finish below 1.000 :eek: so you really need a means to stop it when you are at your desired gravity. The few times I used it I found it to leave a real harsh taste in the beer as well :icon_vomit:

Interesting, what's the enzyme called? Does it act as a catalyst?
I probably wouldn't want to use any other ingredients in my brews other than the pure ingredients of beer. Although I did use a touch of licorice extract in a Baltic Porter once.
Has anyone had any better results with a specific brand of LDME or a LME?

Boagsy, I've no idea what the technical name for it is, but the brew shops just sell it as Dry Enzyme. What it does is break down the more complex sugars that yeast can't chew through into simple ones so they can chew through it, which is why it pretty much leaves the beer with little or no body at all. I suspect that the harsh taste I got when I used it was more of a fussel alcohol.

So could you compensate the lack of body with the addition of Maltodextrine or would the enzyme convert that as well?

Hi

I got my coopers wheat beer down to 1006 after ~2 weeks in primary

cheers :icon_chickcheers:

[quote name='Rack'EmUp' post='547304' date='Nov 3 2009, 11:48 PM']Hi

I got my coopers wheat beer down to 1006 after ~2 weeks in primary

cheers :icon_chickcheers:[/quote]

Good effort.
How's abouta recipe and method?

So could you compensate the lack of body with the addition of Maltodextrine or would the enzyme convert that as well?

Not sure actually, anyone else care to chime in?

Good point on the maltodextrin. I'd steer clear of the enzymes though, too many vaired reports.

Have you tried racking to secondary to drop a few SG points? Its often done that for me in the past, not to mention it gives a clearer brew at bottling time.

- boingk

Good effort.
How's abouta recipe and method?

No probs
from memory it was a tin of thomas coopers wheat, tin of coopers liquid wheat malt, safale wb-06 yeast, topped up to 20ltrs and fermented at around 18-20c. after fermentation slowed right down (about 9-10 days after pitching) i threw in 5 grams of hallertau hersbrucker hops. I think these hops work well with wheats and the beer came out smelling nicely. Simple recipe but a good one imo, cheers! :icon_cheers:

Not sure actually, anyone else care to chime in?

I'm pretty sure to something like 85%.... I think the A and B enzymes break down the long chain or complex sugars, But I'm no scientist.

Which makes me think that if you threw it in the mash it could be converted... But why would you do that.

Latest posts

Back