Filtering Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's right, I meant "expensive" rather than expensive...

+1 for "expensive" filter... diamond bright every time and never had a leak... IMO when it works hassle free every time... it no longer is regarded as expensive.

Here's a link to where i got mine

Like I said before, I will be able to do the filters the same as quoted for approx $100-110 shipped. Depends on the interest I get.

Is there any wastage, and how much? using a filter?

I find there's next to nothing in terms of wastage. Maybe a little that the filter absorbs. Last time I filtered i just let the yeast cake at the bottom of primary go into the filter. Diamond bright through into the keg... so if anything my yield is a touch higher with a filter than it would have been if i didn't use it.

Using these cartridge filters there is basically zero wastage.

From what I understand commerical breweries use something like filter plates that have an absorbant material between each plate. This material can soak up quite significant amounts of product that is then lost when you dispose of the material.

My guess with the cartridge is that you would measure the loss in millilitres not litres.

Brewjohno.

Thx for the feedback. I look forward to using my MK11 Xmas prezzie.
Cheers

I find there's next to nothing in terms of wastage. Maybe a little that the filter absorbs. Last time I filtered i just let the yeast cake at the bottom of primary go into the filter. Diamond bright through into the keg... so if anything my yield is a touch higher with a filter than it would have been if i didn't use it.

Using these cartridge filters there is basically zero wastage.

From what I understand commerical breweries use something like filter plates that have an absorbant material between each plate. This material can soak up quite significant amounts of product that is then lost when you dispose of the material.

My guess with the cartridge is that you would measure the loss in millilitres not litres.

Brewjohno.

Can someone post up the differences between the 10" BeerBelly and Craftbrewer's MK II.

Are the filters different? I would buy the one from CraftBrewer if it was better quality but if the results are the same I will save money.

Besides the already mentioned absolute/nominal difference, the biggest difference is the material of the filter cartridge. The BeerBelly filter is made from pleated paper, whereas the CraftBrewer one is made from pleated PET, according to this.

I just got some polyclar in addition with a 1 micron absolute filter and the results dropped my jaw to the floor. Definitely a wise investment if you can afford it.....but I got mine in top nick off ebay for 50 bucks so i was wrapped. I've got a post about my first filter job with polyclar in the same section so by all means please go and have a look mate! I was that happy with the results I mounted a beer tap in my fridge door. Been a good couple of days :D

Cheers,

Mitch.

Besides the already mentioned absolute/nominal difference, the biggest difference is the material of the filter cartridge. The BeerBelly filter is made from pleated paper, whereas the CraftBrewer one is made from pleated PET, according to this.
The filter medium is paper Florian, at a guess the ends and the mesh are PET.

Can someone post up the differences between the 10" BeerBelly and Craftbrewer's MK II.

Are the filters different? I would buy the one from CraftBrewer if it was better quality but if the results are the same I will save money.

The MKII does make specific mention of the fact that it is an "absolute" filter whilst the Craftbrewer doesn't say one way or another.

"Absolute" is the way to go when it comes to filters.

Here is a response I got from a filter company I recently bought from with regard to 1micron absolute versus nominal:-

"The difference is 1 micron Nominal filters 80% @ 1 micron and will allow 20% up to 2.5 micron through.

1 micron Absolute filters filter 90% @ 0.35 micron and will not allow anything bigger than 1 micron through."

So I would check with Craftbrewer to confirm the filter type and if all else is the same go for price and whatever is more convenient.

Brewjohno.

Back