Fg Only To 1020

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrell.wallace

Reaction score
Hi,

Have had my 4th AG down this week and have finally sucumbed to the pressure of brewing an APA (i have a great recipe from a mate)

I am using US -05 ale yeast and pitched at 20.5 degree's. I used my new(2nd hand) fridge and have maitained 21 degrees for fermentation. started to ferment within a few hours and was happily going for 2 - 3 days and then stopped. Measured For final gravity and it had stopped at 1020, left it measured again 2 days later and was still at 1020. I am sure that it should be lower than 1020 and was wondering about yeast stopping. and what solutions there are available to remedy the situation.

I have tasted both times and the taste is as it should be and i am happy with the smell. i am sure there are no infections.

I'm thinking that it may be a tad soon after only 5 days to get overly worried about it. Let it go up till about 10 days in primary and see how it goes!

I had a very similar issue recently and found that when I ran it off in a secondary fermenter it helped kick start thing again but that was after about 20 days in primary sitting at 1.020

i like to give my fermenters a stir to get the yeast off the bottom if i think its being lazy. dont know if its a good idea, or that it really works but it makes me feel like im doing something.

also what was your recipe and mash temps?

Hi,

Have had my 4th AG down this week and have finally sucumbed to the pressure of brewing an APA (i have a great recipe from a mate)

I am using US -05 ale yeast and pitched at 20.5 degree's. I used my new(2nd hand) fridge and have maitained 21 degrees for fermentation. started to ferment within a few hours and was happily going for 2 - 3 days and then stopped. Measured For final gravity and it had stopped at 1020, left it measured again 2 days later and was still at 1020. I am sure that it should be lower than 1020 and was wondering about yeast stopping. and what solutions there are available to remedy the situation.

I have tasted both times and the taste is as it should be and i am happy with the smell. i am sure there are no infections.

What did it start at? Not 1.080 I guess??

What was the OG... and what was your malt bill and mash temperature? How did you measure your mash temperature?

I'd just leave it for another week. I've had this yeast ferment strongly for a few days, then just slowly tick away for quite a while to get down to the FG. But get there it does.

If it still seems too high after that, maybe you could rack it with a sachet of Nottingham. That's another good attenuator and it drops quite clear as well.

What was your mash temp? .If you mashed to high like about70c then you would have created to many long chain sugars for the yeast to ferment.I did this a couple of times and every time they would stop at 1020.

My OG was 1048, slightly higher than my estimates but not overly so.

I mashed at 66 for 60 minutes and measured with both a mashmaster weldless in the side of my tun and a digital stick thermometre so i am sure that my temps where right.

I might leave it for a few days and see how it goes. I have resisted the urge to pitch more yeast as i am unsure of what the ramifications for this would be.

That yeast is an amimal. My last one with this yeast went from 1.054 down to 1.014. So you ain far away.

Steve

Back