FG and OG of commercial brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyJoeJoe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone keeps a list of the FG and OG's of commercial brews. I just measured three of the beers I had in my fridge. Method pored a bit of each beer in a glass left over night to go flat and warm up and measured the FG in the morning. Then worked backwards using the ABV to come up with the OG.

Sunchaser - FG 1003 measured ABV 4.2 indicated OG 1035 Calculated
Asahi Super Dry - FG 1006 m ABV 5.0 i OG 1044 C
Hop Hog - FG 1014 m ABV 5.8 i OG 1058 C 48 IBUs!

Anyway has anyone compiled a list of these for commercial brews? Seems like it would make it easier to clone... I just checked and Feral even tell you the IBUs!

Thanks

JJJ

I'm not aware of any compilations, but I like your reverse engineering idea.

For the record, quite a few craft breweries publish vital statistics including IBUs. The only issue with published IBUs is if it's measured or calculated, and then which formula for the calculation.

Did you just admit to having sunchaser in your fridge? I'm no beer snob, by any means, there is always a carton of oettinger in my beer fridge. But man, sunchaser? Ugh.

( the bloke around the corner from my parents works at the brewery and often gives them a six pack of it. My mum likes it. Dad prefers his coopers pale kit and kilo. Me too)

Dan Dan said:
Did you just admit to having sunchaser in your fridge? I'm no beer snob, by any means, there is always a carton of oettinger in my beer fridge. But man, sunchaser? Ugh.

( the bloke around the corner from my parents works at the brewery and often gives them a six pack of it. My mum likes it. Dad prefers his coopers pale kit and kilo. Me too)
Yeah I have to agree it is pretty dam watery and the bottles are clear so no real redeeming features. My problem is that the only commercial beer in my fridge has been left there by someone else. I would love to see a list made up of FG OG and IBUs for some commercials we should make FG measurements a compulsory part of the whats in the glass thread :)

JoeyJoeJoe said:
...we should make FG measurements a compulsory part of the whats in the glass thread :)
The main problem I'd have with that is dropping a hydrometer down my throat.

Seriously though, I like the idea/method

If the only commercial beer in your fridge is what others leave then I'd be inviting the guy who left the Hop Hog around more often.

ignoring the sly comments about what beers you have, it's a great idea what you've done mate, and so simple. i might do that myself :)

good thinking!

NigeP62 said:
If the only commercial beer in your fridge is what others leave then I'd be inviting the guy who left the Hop Hog around more often.
Yeah great beer, I know this might be hard to believe but it still had some head the next morning! Also it is so well balanced I didn't even think it was bitter at 48 ibu's. Once I have sorted out a good pilsner receipt a hophog clone is my next challenge.

Latest posts

Back